Busking TG Original Collaborations

familyman4

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Loved it! Thanks for sharing & I am sorry I am a little late to the party but just had to let you know how much I appreciate your efforts.

Bart

pbraun

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Well it's all been said but I must add a WOW, this was perfect in every way
Pete

jayswett

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Unbelievable.

michelew

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Thank you... Thank you to everyone who's responded. ... I'm not sure how to do justice to your amazingly supportive and generous comments, so I'm going to take a less is more approach here too. I'm extremely touched by everyone's kindness. This project has been a sort of musical diary for me; a type of therapy if you will. I felt like I was exposing my super soft underbelly here, but as usual you've all made me feel safe and supported my attempt to go out on a limb. ... Thank you. I really can't express enough how blessed I feel to be part of a community that nurtures expression and experiment like you all do.

Thank you to Mark for his incredibly inspirational piece. This song wouldn't exist without that. It's inspiring.

Thank you to Daryl for the challenge, showing the way and all of the IT advice that has made this 4 PIP video possible and of course his encouragement.

Kev - eyebrows? I think you might be referring to the dancing caterpillars that live on my forehead. They have a mind of their own. I stopped trying to control them years ago. Sue laughs at my expressions whenever she sees them in my videos. They can be fairly intense and eyebrow/caterpillar heavy. :)

Thank you to Suzi, who though she probably didn't realise it, inspired me and gave me the courage to give this a go. She's a woman who lives by the motto of 'you don't know what you're capable of until you try it'. I've been watching. I thought I'd try... :)

Thanks for all of the sweet comments about my singing. I hope to keep improving. Perhaps I'll rerecord the vocals one day when I feel like I can ACTUAL sing. You all give me encouragement I need to keep striving for the day.

Lastly, but most importantly, thank you Nessa. You've been so amazingly encouraging and supportive and such a pleasure to share and collaborate with on this song. I simply can't express how wonderful you've been... :kiss:

I sent Nessa a rough track with vocals that were probably even more emotional than this one and some other ideas. From there she helped me to refine it and turn it into what it is; and the video too. She could easily have stepped in and started directing, given her experience. Instead she offered gentle suggestions until we had it finished. The strings are so beautiful to me. I really did enjoy being immersed in them, but she was right that less was more.

Thank you ...

Shel

familyman4

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 pm

One last comment about this song and presentation:

If we actually had the "Post Of The Week" live and in action, (Like is on the "coming soon" announcement on the home page of the community page), this would certainly win HANDS DOWN!

Thanks again for sharing!
Bart

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:55 am

Ooooooooh I want to add something too! :) :) :)

In my opinion this was not only your best singing performance Shel, it was also your best camera performance. You looked genuine, serious, loving, soft smiles (even a little cracking up :P ) and you connected with the audience and told us what's on your heart, you couldn't have done any better, that was just fantastic!!!! :cheer:

Keep THAT up! ;) :)

familyman4

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 am

Well that's indeed something......the process for me was 'just play'...which I did for two nights straight on. The hardest thing about a piano, to me, is you can play anything everywhere. So which part of the keyboard are you going to use?, and then even harder, which inversions? And then stick to it. I kept changing it, thinking each time was a little better, but then forgot what I had done and changed it again. :S....then there are the dynamics, nuances of the song. How to built it up? and take it down? When, where? Which notes/inversions will function well for that? Blah blah.....trust me, hardly anything in there is a coincedence....it was all thought through. And occasionally I also had to compromise, since my sustainpedal didn't do what I wanted it to do.....grrrrrrrrrr....

All in all, I decided to come in subtle, built it up by playing the bassnotes in the second 'chorus', then kinda burst out during the minorsection, which kinda continued during the bridge in which i played the inversions higher to create a crescendo, after that I took it down bit by bit, eventually left out the bassnotes.

Personally I just LOVED the minorsections, they were the most beautiful to me, Shel's melodylines in there are just gorgeous and intense, I really got 'lost' in there, SO beautiful, an ocean of music, so I'm very glad you kept those in! ;)

As for her process, well i hope she'll tell us something about it! :) :)

MarkM wrote:
Ness, what a great accompanying piece of music. Just brilliant!! I'm real curious as to your process in coming up with it. I really liked what you both did with the two minor sections of the song...

MarkM

Hydroman52

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 am

Wow! Good work on this, girls and guy. (Insert what everyone else has said before this post and add.......... ) I really like the use of the classical guitar for its brief appearance. Nice touch.

nesh16041972 wrote:
I kept changing it, thinking each time was a little better, but then forgot what I had done and changed it again.
Holy cow! I thought I was the only one who did that. As I get older, someone keeps sneaking into my head and is continuously removing brain cells. Consequently, the only way to remember most of this stuff is to record it as it happens. And, the only problem with that is trying to remember to keep fresh batteries in the recorder and turn it on. It's a vicious circle.

Hydroman52

Catman

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 am

BRAVA! BRAVA! BRAVO!

And a collective BRAVISSIMO!

Thank you

reiver

Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 am

Have to agree with whoever it was that said "Wow". This is a fantastic piece of music which is only enhanced by the unique way that it all came together. Can't say a big enough well done to all of those involved. Let's hope that this stimulates some further creative efforts by the TG community.

Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic