Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole) busking ukulele

sabathiel

Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:05 am

Played on my Fender Tenor Hau'oli ukulele.

Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole "The Fearless Eyed"; May 20, 1959 -- June 26, 1997), also called Bruddah Iz ("Brother Iz"), was a Hawaiian musician.

His voice became famous outside Hawaii when his album Facing Future was released in 1993. His medley of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World" was subsequently featured in several films, television programs, and television advertisement commercials.

Through his skillful ukulele playing and incorporation of other genres (such as jazz and reggae), Kamakawiwoʻole's music remains a very strong influence in Hawaiian music.

Kamakawiwoʻole's recording of "Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" was featured as a sound track in the movies Meet Joe Black, Finding Forrester, 50 First Dates, Fred Clause and IMAX: Hubble 3D. It was also featured on TV series like ER, American Dad!, Scrubs, Cold Case, Glee and the UK original version of Life On Mars among others.

"Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" reached #12 on Billboard's Hot Digital Tracks chart the week of January 31, 2004 (for the survey week ending January 18, 2004). It passed the 2 million paid downloads mark in the USA by September 27, 2009, and then sold 3 million in the USA as of October 2, 2011.

[video size=100 width=480 height=360]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ajoaB9yVs[/video]

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:32 am

Looks like you were having some fun there sabathiel! Nice going!

daryl

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:07 am

Well done. Nice uke. You'd think with 2 million downloads, 3 million sales, and all the TV and movie exposure I would have heard this version before. But......I haven't.... :blush:

kelemenj

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:18 am

Very Nice! Those two songs blended seamlessly together in that arrangement. The solid rhythm playing was a good background for your expressive vocals. Thanks for posting! I would like to hear more from you.
John

Hydroman52

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 am

This is a wonderful performance, and I'd throw some jingle in your uke case if I saw you playing it on a street corner. I'd like to make two suggestions:

1. Remove the metronome click (listen through the ear buds for guidance, but don't let the audience hear it). It is a bit distracting. Your performance stands alone just fine without any percussion!

2. Slow it down a few beats per minute. It seems like you are a little rushed and out of breath while singing, but maybe it's the click track that gives it this illusion.

This is being a bit picky on my part, so don't be offended. It's just that I have encountered the same things and this is what seems to work for me.

Hydroman52

sabathiel

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 am

Hydroman52 wrote:
This is a wonderful performance, and I'd throw some jingle in your uke case if I saw you playing it on a street corner. I'd like to make two suggestions:

1. Remove the metronome click (listen through the ear buds for guidance, but don't let the audience hear it). It is a bit distracting. Your performance stands alone just fine without any percussion!

2. Slow it down a few beats per minute. It seems like you are a little rushed and out of breath while singing, but maybe it's the click track that gives it this illusion.

This is being a bit picky on my part, so don't be offended. It's just that I have encountered the same things and this is what seems to work for me.

Hydroman52
I did not use a metronome. The percussive sound is from the strumming or a hit on the soundboard of the uke. You are absolutely correct about the rushed part. This is like take I forgot how many because I keep making mistakes somewhere in the middle and had to start again. By the time I got this full take I was so happy I got one I stopped and settled for this take. I just was so impatient of trying to get another better full take. God knows how many more takes I need to do to get another successful full take. This is done also much faster than the original. This took 4 minutes for the whole song which was sung exactly like the original which took 5 minutes. I think the reason why I did it so fast is because I want it to be over and done with as quick as possible due to the many takes already done as well playing faster is easier to do without making mistakes. Hence your correct judgment of it being somewhat "rushed". I'm just so happy I got one done in the end. ;)

jimcjimc

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:45 am

Great job on that ukulele classic! ! Iconic song and hard to sing.

And for those who are unfamiliar with this arrangement, there is a lesson on the site: http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... world.html

sabathiel

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:57 am

I listened to my video again and found out that that metronome sound is the sound of my fingernails hitting the soundboard of the ukulele most particularly during the strumming pattern of "Wonderful World" which was a different strumming pattern from "Over The Rainbow" part of the song.

tombo1230

Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Well done, I'm sure this is tricky, you did a fine job.

Tom N.

lueders

Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:51 am

You've got a STRONG voice. Very pleasant sounding! I really enjoyed your performance. :)

Cori

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic