Blackbird (The Beatles/Wings/Paul McCartney) busking acoustic cover

sabathiel

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:29 am

Finally I got to record this. Not perfect but satisfactory. I wanted to play without constantly watching my hands move across the fretboard so my vocals won't drop out by looking away from the mic. Playing with the backing track also makes it somewhat tricky. Anyway no introduction needed for this Beatles classic. Also all the strings were tuned down a full step to give the vocal a more mellow and warmer tone as McCartney use to play in the mid 70s with his band Wings. Played on my Australian made Mini Maton EML/6. I don't know if the vocals are a bit flat on this.

[video size=100 width=480 height=360][/video]

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 am

This is almost a right-of-passage song at TG and you are using the dreaded 'nome to... well done Sabathiel! You seem to be using just your thumb and index finger and I'm using thumb, middle and ring finger.... so I think you are missing some notes. Maybe one of our better coaches will take a look and comment... hopefully Neil.

sabathiel

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:33 am

Yes I think Neil teaches this using both index and middle finger but I was trying to follow what Paul McCartney did on this song which is using thumb and index finger only. McCartney hits the second and third string with his index finger which is technically speaking wrong and his own folky picking style. Neil teaches the classical picking style. Well me being not as good as McCartney sometimes misses hitting the third string with my index finger and only hit the second string.

willem

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi ,,Playing it McCartney's way is a nice way for playing the guitar and the singin, I learned it Neil's way by using the thumb also on the third string this for getting the thumb in shape for other songs(travis pickin I think,or old bleus),,important is I think that you constant hear the drowning G string (third string open),,I also play it like you did but i use my middle finger for the second and third string in the way of a sort pick and hit(maybe it looks like a sort strumming with that finger)

Goodluck..

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic