Collaboration of "That's Life"

daryl

Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm

First I have to thank Jim (takhak) for introducing me to Paul Thorn. Thanks Jim! And second, I have to thank Michele for playing with me again. Thanks Michele! It’s always fun to collaborate with you. After Michele did “All My Loving” with me I wanted to do another song with her. She kindly said “yes”. So I went searching for a new YouTube friend. And I found this great song by my new friend Paul Thorn that I just loved and thought we could do something with it. So I asked Michele to come up with a bass track and I’d do my usual rhythm hacking and attempt a small solo to fill in the interlude. What we ended up with is beyond my wildest dreams. Michele is pretty amazing! So here’s our collaboration of Paul Thorn’s “That’s Life”. Hope you like it (and Paul). For best sound use headphones........

And here’s Paul’s original video:

(E) (Esus4))
(E) Thank you I'm ok I (A) guess,
I just need a little (E) rest.
I'll catch up on my sleep to (A) night.
I ain't complainin' - that's (E) life.
I've got blueberries in the (A) yard.
I bought a hundred mason (E) jars.
I'm gonna pick them when they're (A) ripe.
Another season - that's (E) life.

[Chorus]
(E) Wipe that (F#m) tear out (G#m) of your (A) eye.
(B/A) Behind the clouds the sun still (B/G#) shines.
You're in my prayers every (F#m) night.
(B7) Enjoy the journey that's (E) life.

[Interlude]
(E) (A) (E)

There's a touch of fall in the (A) wind.
Can't wait till you come back a (E) gain.
You're the brightest star in my (A) sky.
Wish you could stay - that's (E) life.
I know it's time for you to (A) go.
Here's a sandwich for the (E) road.
It's always hard to say good (A) bye.
Ain't that the truth - that's (E) life.

[Chorus]
(E) Wipe that (F#m) tear out (G#m) of your (A) eye.
(B/A) Behind the clouds the sun still (B/G#) shines.
You're in my prayers every (F#m) night.
(B7) Enjoy the journey that's (E) life. (Esus4) (E)

tombo1230

Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 pm

I am honestly more than impressed with this collaboration, not only with it's multi layered pictures and sound but the fact is it's a really beautiful song
arranged with taste and performed so professionally. I have to say you guys/'n' gal have exceeded even your previous brilliance.

I loved everything about this. If Paul Thorn has an album I want to purchase it, he is truely a fine singer indeed.

Michelle your harmony backing was lovely to say the least.

Daryl fine job putting and mixing this together. I will probably watch/listen to this quite a few times more. What can I say Brilliant! Well done! everybody.

Ok now starting to ramble a bit, so did I say WOW!. B) :)

Tom N.

kelemenj

Mon May 13, 2013 8:22 pm

thanks for sharing!
i thought this was going to be the
Sinatra song. After my initial disapointment, I truly enjoyed the performance!
it kinda reminds me of Springsteens's solo acoustic stuff.
glad to be turned onto another artist courtesy to TG.
john

Music Junkie

Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 pm

Daryl / Michele:

Where do you go from here? They just keep getting better... B)

Can I get on the list for pre-sales of the world tour????

Jason

willem

Tue May 14, 2013 3:16 am

An other hit,,I loved the backing,,so graceful..its a nice song too..

Willem

dennisg

Tue May 14, 2013 7:44 am

So glad this was waiting for me when I logged on this morning, because no matter how crappy the rest of the day is, I'll always have this.

Shel, you're a total natural on the bass and your vocals are getting better and more confident with each video. I'm so happy for you.

Daryl, this wasn't your most difficult performance, but of course everything you needed to do you did perfectly.

I was listening to Paul Thorn's voice and it occurred to me that he sounds like a combination of Peter Gabriel and Randy Newman.

daryl

Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Tom - That's very high praise coming from you (a professional video editor)! Yes, Paul has many CDs. Checkout his website: www.paulthorn.com and his YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/perpetualobscurity

John - I wondered if anyone might think Sinatra. I thought about calling the tread: Collaboration of Paul Thorn's "That's Life", but I figured not too many people would know of Paul.

Jason - World tour? Only if I can do it from my house! Thanks for the kind words.

Willem - Yes, Michele did a FANTASTIC job on those backing vocals. She sounds like a full choir to me! I like the song too.

Dennis - Glad we could brighten your morning! And yes, Michele is a natural. Thanks!

sandysue

Tue May 14, 2013 5:28 pm

You guy and gal are having waaaaaaay too much fun!!! :woohoo:

Nah...there ain't no such thing ;). I just loved it, every bit of it!!!! Shel, Dennis is right, you're a natural on bass and I lóved your backing vocals, sooooooo very cool! B)

Daryl, yeah, you play the guitar well! ;) :P Also an awesome job on the video itself, how many pips were there???! :blink: Really enjoyed it!!

Ness

familyman4

Tue May 14, 2013 5:52 pm

I am really enjoying these collaborations! Another solid song that sounds wonderful... Daryl, so calm, cool & collected. Shel, very confident and sounding great. I know how much I enjoy watching so I'm sure it's even more fun performing together. Thanks again for sharing your skills. Bart

michelew

Wed May 15, 2013 12:04 am

Tom, Jason, John, Willem, Den, Bart, Nessa,

Thanks so much! :) :) :) :). It's definitely been fun making stuff up. This is a beautiful song and lent itself to lots if different possibilities for additional tracks.

I do LOVE the way that you can build a sound by adding simple things to it. My bass line is far from fancy, well neither are my vocals.

And while on the subject, thanks so much for the encouraging comments about my bass playing and singing. It all gives me confidence to try new things. I love that this community is so supportive.

I guess I should get back to my guitars proper. They are looking a little neglected. :)

Daryl - you're a sweetie. - wildest dreams :) it was lots of fun, great challenge my friend.

Thanks

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic