Busking The Doors

tombo1230

Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Great job with playing and cool singing. B)

This was just terrific! Really enjoyed your version of this song. Easy seemless changes between strumming and picking. :)

Tom N.

skaladar

Fri May 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Wow, Dennis … that really floored me. I mean I always enjoy your uploads and admire your talent but this goes over the top.
Aside from the solid guitar and superb vocals your arrangement is just incredible. It’s so complete all the way from base line to that dissident note and everything in-between.
A job well done and a very fitting tribute indeed.

Thanks for sharing

♫ Ken ♫

dennisg

Fri May 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Willem: Haha ... my strange nails. I'm glad you like the sound they produce; it's a lot more lively than my fingertips.

Jason: That's very nice of you to say. Yeah, The Doors (like most bands, including The Beatles) aren't for everyone. They just happened to come along at the right time for me.

Dermot: Thanks for watching. I appreciate it.

Mark: So nice. Thanks. Funny you mention my thumb getting a workout. I started out playing the song with a flat pick, but I was unhappy with the barre chord part of the song. I even tried playing a combo of flat pick and finger picking, but those results didn't thrill me either. My last fumbling attempt was with a thumb pick, but I couldn't get the control on the bass strings that I wanted. So, I figured that as long as I'm paying for these damn nails, I might as well use 'em.

Daryl: I really appreciate your comments. As for my fancy nails, from the first moment that I used them, I felt totally comfortable. There was no awkwardness and no learning curve ... it just felt right from the very beginning. Of course, my typing isn't worth a damn anymore.

Cori: That just may be the single nicest comment I've ever received in this forum ... and one of the 10 nicest things anyone's ever said about me. I'm honestly humbled. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm. You should know that your comment prompted me to do something I never do: go back and watch one of my old videos. After a 15-minute hunt through this site's arcane search system, I finally found You Can't Always Get What You Want. It made me remember how much fun it was recording that video with Tony, and how we basically slapped it together in about 45 minutes. By the way, I've maintained a friendship with Tony, even though he quit this site.

Al: Oooh, I would love to hear you do a Doors song. I'll bet you'd rip it up! Which one are you thinking of doing ... just between you and me?

Bob: I always appreciate your comments.

Wrench: Very nice of you. Thanks.

Tom: You're very generous. Thank you so much.

Ken: I really appreciate your comment on the song's arrangement. This might make Neil absolutely cringe, but I don't like to spend much time with his lessons (yes, this is a lesson song) because I don't want to get fixated on a specific style or arrangement. So I watched the first part of his lesson (the part that deals with the bass line), then -- for good or ill -- decided to just wing it from there. I'd probably be a much better player if I followed his lessons more closely.

kelemenj

Fri May 24, 2013 5:41 pm

I do love the Doors! What a major talent Manzarek was. I loved the arrangement. This was an f-in' cool upload!!
John

familyman4

Fri May 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Dennis,

That was just wonderful! Man it sounded great! That song hit your voice perfectly and the guitar playing was fantastic. BTW, I can always tell wwhen a song has been performed well before I even listen to it by the fact that you filled up over a page of comments within 4 hours pof posting the song :)

Bart

P.S. Please tell Tony that I miss hearing him playing the blues....

plantman

Fri May 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for the memorable rendition, a worthy tribute!

michelew

Fri May 24, 2013 7:20 pm

WOW! WOW!....This is SERIOUSLY cool.

Den - it NEVER ceases to amaze me how you're able to capture the essence and feel of a complex, multi part song with just your voice and a single guitar. If I'd attempted this it would have at least five parts and it wouldn't sound ANYWHERE near as cool and spot on as your version does.

I LOVE your singing (the energy, the passion, the sound). I LOVE the sour note as Cori put it, that was Super cool. I LOVE the slides. I LOVE the way you pick it, although your poor thumb.... And the sound you get on this is really amazing. I might need to to show me exactly how you do it one day. :)

I'm not sure whether this is my favourite upload of yours. You've posted so many fantastic ones (Autumn Leaves being just one) that it's impossible to tell now. But, it's RIGHT up there in the short list.

Another Showman Production and a VERY cool way to start my Saturday morning. :) thanks sweet man. I LOVE IT!

GREAT tribute.

L

Shel

takhak

Fri May 24, 2013 9:28 pm

dennisg
you do have a ton of good ones up (Killing the Blues) but this is threatening all of them
for top honors with very nice playing and your voice has never been better.

cosmicmechanic

Fri May 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Dennis, this is hoot-and-holler good !

It's hard to throw things when you are grinning and applauding, so if you play this at an open mike,
then any overripe fruit in the audience will remain concealed, waiting for a more deserving target.

The Doors did a great job channeling teen angst with this ... you sure do it justice with simple means.

Inspiring !

Pierre

Craig

Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 am

Gosh, soooooooo great to see a new upload of you Den and what a great one too!! Like Shel said, sooooo cool and really dig the guitarplaying with all of its little 'thingies'! Yeah, your nails are fascinating too, I still need to go for it too. (I'm obviously not a guy, but I do expect a few surprised faces when I enter a nailsalon! :P )

Awesome job Den, always great to hear you play and sing!!! :cheer:

Nessa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic