Busking The Doors

dekotaj

Sat May 25, 2013 10:06 am

BRAVO!!!! BRAVO!!!!

Dennis what a fantastic performance. Cori said this might be your best so far. Dennis,there is no question about it for me BY FAR the best I've heard you play and sing. And with all the great performances you and your lovely wife have done, Will, what can one say but BRAVO!!!!! The vocals were over the top. And your guitar playing was just as great. When you were doing those 1/2 bends down the neck, you did not miss a single one, all were perfect!!!

A standing O from me sir!!!!!
Kev

dtaylor

Sat May 25, 2013 10:12 am

Wow Dennis, you're a brave man, such a tough song to play a sing technically, (speaking as someone who has attempted neither), but you also capture the spirit so well.
Seems there can't be many songs you couldn't take on. More power to you.

Craig

Sat May 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Wow Dennis! You nailed that one. Of course after watching you now for some time, I wouldn't expect anything less! Loved the sound on the vocals which seemed very comfortable for you. Great job all the way around. Kudos to you. A GREAT tribute to the Doors!

Craig

reiver

Sat May 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Dennis
I was about to start writing that I really enjoy how you manage to capture the essence of whatever song you are performing when it occurred to me that it sounded a bit more intelligent than I usually sound and on checking back I noticed that Shel had already said it. I generally try to be more subtle in my plagiarism but there must have been something in what Shel wrote that struck a chord with me and therefore I'm happy to repeat it if not take credit for it. This is one of the few Doors songs that I find accessible and really enjoyed listening to your great performance.

S

dennisg

Mon May 27, 2013 8:36 am

KelemenJ: Thanks so much, John. Always good to find another Doors fan.

Bart: It's no easy thing to find a song that suits my voice, so when I do find one, it tends to stay in my repertoire. I'll pass along your greeting to Tony.

Plantman: Always nice to hear from someone I don't know. Thanks for watching the video.

Michele: Thank you so much for your tireless support and enthusiasm over the years. In fact, you're one of the main reasons why I stay here. By the way, I'd be happy to show you how I play People Are Strange -- next year at guitar camp, I'd love to swap song lessons with you. You're a pal, Shel.

Takhak: I'm absolutely shocked that you remember Killing the Blues, but I'm very flattered. Thanks so much.

Pierre: Hah! Hoot-and-holler good? I love your comments, Pierre, and always look forward to them.

Ness: The feeling is positively mutual. As you know, I'm a huge fan of yours. Thanks so much for the support.

Kevin: It's funny, Kev, and I don't mean to insult this song, but it's not one that I thought many people would like -- so I have to just scratch my head at the comments that suggest that this might be (close to) my best upload yet. Sometimes I post a video I think will get a strong reaction, and it barely rises above the noise floor. It just goes to prove that I haven't got a clue what people will like. At any rate, thank you so much for your comment.

DTaylor: Funny thing about this song -- it's not at all hard to play and it's simple to sing. But like a lot of songs that have a syncopated rhythm, it's a challenge at first to combine playing AND singing. It really helps to know the guitar part well enough that you can put it on auto-pilot while you're singing. Thanks for stopping by.

Craig: You're a pal, Craig, and I always appreciate your comments. For whatever reason, this is one of those songs I was able to record in one take.

Stu: You don't have to bother with subtlety in your plagiarism. I often read things in Michele's posts that I want to remember and then later dispense as if they were my own original ideas. I totally agree with you that this is one of the few Doors songs that is accessible in the sense that it's easily turned into an acoustic guitar song, probably because it doesn't rely on the keyboard as much as other tunes of theirs. By the way, it's certainly not lost on me that you don't post on TG much anymore, so I'm very honored that a video of mine can bring you back.

Catman

Mon May 27, 2013 10:08 am

Hey Den,

I almost missed this. Very expressive playing and singing!

As all the superlatives have already been used up, I won't try re-plagiarizing. I'll just shut up and let the video speak (sing?) for itself and agree with all the comments above.

-David

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 27, 2013 10:18 am

Really good job Dennis (sorry I missed it until now)! I thought the whole thing was nicely relaxed yet dynamic and full of expression... really well sung... and I noticed the nails too... must be fun playing with them. Nice upload and fitting tribute!
Chris

Chasplaya

Mon May 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Dennis an awesome rendition, I like the way you take Neils lessons and turn them into your own; I think that is a real sign of a good musician. Me I'm mostly a copycat musician. Thanks for posting this.

Your contributions are one of the few things keeping me here at TG at present so keep them coming.

regards

Chas

suziko

Tue May 28, 2013 8:09 am

Dennis,

I was away all weekend on a whirlwind trip to NYC (living my typical jet-set lifestyle) so I missed this upload from you when you first posted it. What a great performance of a very cool song. I really love the sound of that bend. And are you doing that with your pinky?? Wow!! You sounded really comfortable with the vocals on this too. I think you did both Ray and Jim proud.

Suzi

dennisg

Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am

David: Thanks so much for stopping by, Dave. I'm really looking forward to seeing you again at next year's guitar camp.

Chris: The nails make finger picking so much easier and better-sounding, but I don't think they'd help you as a squash instructor.

Chas: That's a really nice comment and I appreciate it a lot. I hope that Neil appreciates it when someone diverges from his lessons. It's certainly not because I don't like what he does; sometimes I just want to go figure things out for myself. Thanks for the invitation to keep posting videos.

Suzi: This is one of those songs whose vocal demands just happen to fit into the extremely narrow window that is my vocal range. So, unlike in other songs, I'm not screeching to hit high notes or riding a submarine down to some low notes. Yes, the bends are done with my pinky ... adding a 7th to the barred B. Very fun song to play, by the way, and even more fun to fit the lyrics into that bass pattern. Thanks for your support.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic