Busking The Doors

dennisg

Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Ray Manzarek's death this week left me thinking a lot about The Doors, a Los Angeles band that exploded onto the scene when I was 16 years old, and looking for something a little different from The Beatles. With The Doors' first album, I found exactly what I was looking for.

Light My Fire didn't just have an influence on me; it changed the way we listen to radio. Before LMF, a song consisted of 2 minutes and 30 seconds of crappy AM radio. After LMF, it was anything goes on that under-utilized frequency band known as FM.

Flip the calendar ahead about 45 years, and I thought I'd pay a meager tribute to one of rock history's most interesting and unique bands, and to the keyboard player who played a large part in making them that way.

Break on through, Ray.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Fri May 24, 2013 1:35 pm

I enjoyed that very much,,man that was great again,,I like the sound from your ,,strange nails'',,I think you are very happy with that,,

Willem

Music Junkie

Fri May 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Nice job Dennis. Although I was never a big fan of the Doors (a bit before my time), and in particular this song, I did enjoy this very much. Actually, I would prefer this to the original... I thought you did a VERY good job of taking the picking, pinches and strumming and weaving them into a very splendid rendition. The vocals were very solid and fit well with the overall feel of the song. Your uploads are ALWAYS a joy. Thanks for posting this one.

Jason

thereshopeyet

Fri May 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Dennis
I like your playing of this very much !

Great Tribute.

:laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

Fri May 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Killer Dennis!!! Great way to start the Holiday Weekend!! As always, much appreciated that you shared this with us.

Man that thumb of your was getting a workout. :)

MarkM

daryl

Fri May 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Good job. Loved the vocals (especially with the reverb effect). Nice touch. Solid guitar playing. What's it like playing with "fancy" nails ? Was there an adjustment period or did it seem quite natural from the get go?

lueders

Fri May 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Dude!!! :) :) :)

I know this a BIG leap here but I think this is might be my favorite of your uploads! :) :)
I guess I forgot how sparkling clear your sound and set-up was. But I hadn't forgotten about the overall quality of your performances. Your pleasant sound just comes booming outta the speakers!!

Like I said, it is a big leap to say this is my favorite of yours. But I think it just might be!!
While we're on the subject, the Zombies stuff definitely comes too mind...your voice on those was SUPERB! I never gave up on one day figuring out how you did your/earlier version of Honky Tonk Women too...(And don't even get me started on the Stones collab with Tony I LOVE THAT!!!) But anyways, back to the song at hand...

I have dabbled with this song before but never found/ figured out a composite arrangement that had all the parts I thought necessary to make it authentic. The baseline, melody, and that sour note way up the neck...you know just all of it together like a superb composite arrangement needs to be. well here it is!!! :) :) :) :) Amazing!!

Your vocals and playing both, were flawless. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Man if I wanna try and add this to my repertoire I know where to go to ask for help!!

Awesome Dennis!!

AcousticAl

Fri May 24, 2013 4:09 pm

I've always been a big Doors fan and was going to create a Doors-Busking thread if I had time..
Glad you beat me to it, Dennis!

Loved the upload- solid playing and singing- and thought you did a great job capturing the vibe of the song.

I'll add my own song here at some point in the future..

BobR

Fri May 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Dennis,

Very nicely done. Playing and vocals sounded terrific. :)

Thanks for sharing

Bob

wrench

Fri May 24, 2013 4:59 pm

Nice job all around Dennis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic