Busking Don McLean

Hydroman52

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Wow Jeff, you had them singing right up to the end. Quite an ambitious set list, too. My hat's off to you just for remembering all of it. I sweat bullets even when my notes are in front of me for a security blanket. Your comment on agonizing over the set list is all too familiar. I'm wondering how you decide on your set list. How long did you play and what were your breaks?

Thanks,

Hydroman52

jcrocket

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi Kev, thanks for the note. Definitely had to make sure Tull was represented!

Trix, thanks! I put about as much Son Volt as I thought I could get away with....would’ve done a lot more if I thought the audience would be more familiar with it...

Hey Rick, thanks so much for the comments, and your questions. As for the set list, I tried to accomplish the following:
- start out each set (especially the 1st) with a very easy yet upbeat song to warm up my fingers, my voice, and the audience.
- keep as good a balance as possible between fast & slow, new & old, familiar songs vs. ones likely to be new to most of the audience.
- avoid consecutive songs in the same key.
- obviously, only do songs that I can play well enough, remember all the lyrics, and are in my vocal range.
Satisfying all those criteria made the exercise somewhat like solving a puzzle, but in a fun way. I found myself tinkering with it right up to the last minute. There were songs I originally planned to do, like Here Comes The Sun, Wonderful Tonight, and Poor Poor Pitiful Me, that I ended up taking out because I just didn’t like how they were sounding when I practiced them.

The gig was supposed to be 3 hours (9:00-midnight), and my plan was 3 sets of approx. 50-minutes, with 10-minute breaks in between. I probably could’ve accomplished that by removing a song or two from each set, but I wanted to have some songs in my back pocket so I could keep playing in case the place was still busy at midnight.

I’m holding out as long as possible from using notes, a music stand, or an iPad. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using those - I’ve seen many very good performers who do so - I’m just stubborn, and as long as I can avoid it, I will.....meanwhile, what works for me is just repetition - singing the songs over and over, in the shower, in my car, or when actually practicing - and getting them basically burned into my brain.

BTW - really liked your set list for your first gig Rick - thanks for sharing!

Jeff

jayswett

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:49 am

Well done. You did appear to be having a great time.

benfield113

Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:00 am

Vincent (revisited)

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dekotaj

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 pm

Bravo Sir

Kevin

tombo1230

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Very well done!! Even better the second time around, bravo!! :)

Tom N.

benfield113

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:55 am

Thanks Kevin & Tom.

The main difference is down to my new guitar. :)

Tom, are you going to make IGC2 this year?

Cheers

Andy

tombo1230

Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:17 pm

benfield113 wrote:
Thanks Kevin & Tom.

The main difference is down to my new guitar. :)

Tom, are you going to make IGC2 this year?

Cheers

Andy

No can't make it this year. :(

What make is your guitar?

Tom N.

benfield113

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:42 am

Oh what a shame you can't make it ! But I seem to remember that you said you had other plans this year.

The 'new' guitar is actually a 2004 Martin HD-40TP.

Maybe see you next year.

Regards

Andy

elc3

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:56 am

Andy,

Now that's nice! Thanks for posting.

A friend let me fiddle around on his Martin several months ago at one of our Saturday guitar jams, and I was "blown away" (as they say) by the action -- one of the easiest-to-play guitars I've ever held in my hands. He said he had paid $600 for it, though, which is a little out of my range, so I'll continue with my $80 classical...

Cheers,

Ed

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic