Busking Don McLean

BobR

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Jeff,

Nice performance. Everyone seemed to be having a good time singing along. Hope to see more :)

Bob

jcrocket

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Craig and Bob - thanks so much for the comments!

Craig - here are the songs I played (or at least planned to - the six with the stars in the third set, I had to skip because I ran short of time). To say I agonized over this setlist for weeks would be an understatement...

SET 1
Hard Core Troubadour (Steve Earle)
You and Tequila (Kenny Chesney/Grace Potter)
Brian Wilson (Barenaked Ladies)
The Difficult Kind (Sheryl Crow)
Lonely Ol' Night (John Mellancamp)
Dire Wolf (Grateful Dead)
Pancho & Lefty (Townes Van Zandt)
Thunder Road (Bruce Spingsteen)
Windfall (Son Volt)
A Pirate Looks At 40 (Jimmy Buffett)
It's All Over Now Baby Blue (Bob Dylan)
Mother Goose (Jethro Tull)
Rainy Night in Georgia (Brook Benton)
Into the Mystic (Van Morrison)
SET 2
Up On Cripple Creek (The Band)
Solitary Man (Neil Diamond)
Toes (Zac Brown Band)
Old Man (Neil Young)
I'm A Believer (The Monkees)
Marie (Townes Van Zandt)
In My Life (Beatles)
The Delivery Man (Elvis Costello)
Guitar Town (Steve Earle)
Simple Twist of Fate (Bob Dylan)
Time Spent In Los Angeles (Dawes)
Operator (Jim Croce)
Highways and Cigarettes (Son Volt)
American Pie (Don MacLean)
SET 3
Dixie Chicken (Little Feat)
Someday I'll Be Forgiven For This (Justin Townes Earle)
Methamphetamine (Son Volt)
When The Circus Comes (Los Lobos)
Drive On (Johnny Cash)
Rock Me On The Water (Jackson Browne)
My Old Friend The Blues (Steve Earle)
When I Fall (Barenaked Ladies)*
The Man’s Too Strong (Dire Straits)*
The Weight (The Band)*
Doctor My Eyes (Jackson Browne)*
Jolene (Ray LaMontagne)*
Noplace To Fall (Townes Van Zandt)*
Last Call (Ericson Holt)

Thanks,
Jeff

Craig

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Wow Jeff! Those set lists are awesome! If I went to a place and someone was playing those songs, I'd be so pumped up! It's quite an accomplishment to be able to have that many songs in your bag that you feel confident to play in public. Congratulations! I hope you post some of the others some day....

Craig

snipe

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 am

Jeff

Great to see and hear you again! Thats awesome! I salute you sir.. Nice to hear about your musical endeavors.

Mike

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Good to see you again, Jeff.

Your set list is DEEP, for sure! I don't think I could get through that many songs without my crutch (ipad) to help me out with lyrics!

As others have said- you did a great job staying focused with a loud bar/shenanigans happening all around you. But I can imagine it's all worth it when the chorus rolls around and everyone stops their yacking long enough to sing along!

Kudos!!

jcrocket

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Mike - thanks so much for the comments and support.

Al - thanks, appreciate the feedback. Yep, when everyone started chiming in, it was a pretty incredible feeling....I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Jeff

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Great Jeff, nice job! being a one man show sure is energy sapping! Did you feel it was harder work on your own. The PA you had made it all possible... I was surprised you had no feedback as you seemed to be right in front of one of the speakers.
Chris

jcrocket

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks Chris!

Overall, yes, I'd have to say that it's a bit more work playing alone. Besides the obvious - hauling, setup and tear-down of equipment - it definitely felt like it required more concentration, not having another guitarist or lead singer to lean on. And while it was kind of nice having all the control over what songs to play, I did miss that thrill you get when multiple instruments and voices are blending together well. To be honest, if I had to totally choose between playing solo and playing in the trio, I'd opt for playing in the trio (it might be different if the three of us didn't get along really well, have similar goals, and have at least compatible tastes in music). Ideally, I hope to be able to do more of both in the future.

As for the PA, I think the camera angle is a little deceiving - I was actually positioned slightly behind both of the speakers. The only time there was any feedback was when that one audience member decided to pitch in and sing (or shout) "Lucille".

dekotaj

Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:48 am

Hey Jeff

Great job. The folks sure were getting into it. I was glad to see you doing your Jethro Tull In one of your sets.And A Croce tune, Bravo.

Would love to hear it some day. Have fun that's what its all about.

Kev

trix606

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:35 am

Holy cow what a set! Love all that Son Volt in the list. Great job on American Pie. I have seen it played out by solo guitarists a lot and they usually cut a verse or two out. You nailed it all. Congrats!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic