Busking Pretenders

kelemenj

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Back on the Chain Gang

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey John, Good job, but you sure pick some tough songs to do! BTW the lighting was much better as was the vocal to guitar balance. Thanks.

Also, how many songs do you know and could play from memory? I'm guessing tons! (If so, you piss me off! :ohmy: only kidding). I can't remember even one entire song. Even the one I last learned. :(

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:14 pm

As Daryl said John, not easy to cover Chrissie Hynde! Kudos to you for attempting it! Did you try dropping the key a notch or two, maybe easier on the voice for you?
Chris

willem

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I like all your vids,,,,,can you do''the river'',,by the Boss..

Willem

kelemenj

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 am

Daryl - Thanks! I think I could do about maybe 50 songs from memory. I don't think they would be performance ready without some rehearsal though.

Chris - Thanks for watching. It didn't occur to me to try that. Chrissy Hynde's voice is so rich and resonant that it seems like the notes are not as high as they actually are. It was a little out of range for me but what the hell.

Willem - I do love all things Springsteen. I can't really justify trying 'The River' unless I had that haunting harmonica part with it. I do a version of 'Lost in the Flood' though. Thanks for watching.

John

dekotaj

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:21 am

daryl wrote:
[quote]Hey John, Good job, but you sure pick some tough songs to do! BTW the lighting was much better as was the vocal to guitar balance. Thanks.

Yes Sir. Really enjoy watching someone have that much fun playing and singing.The lighting was much better as was the vocal to guitar balance. I would still like to see you get more light in front of you. ( hard for a old man to see what your doing.)ha ha. It's a real joy watching. Thanks for posting. Livens up the form.

BRAVO!!!

Kev

BobR

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:28 am

Hi John,

Nice job and as Daryl said much better lighting and vocal mix. I do notice the vocal / video out of sync a bit, but no big deal

THanks

Bob

kelemenj

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Kev - Thank you. I do have fun with this. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't bother. Not enough hours in the day.

Bob - Thank you and thanks for watching.

lueders

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 pm

John, I really enjoyed this. I like the Pretenders a lot. I would like to learn this one. Did u work from a tab. Any chance I could take a peek at it...if so.
I thought your playing was great!! :) :) :) I agree with what the others have said too. Tough one to sing;but u did pretty good with it...definitely on the high end of your range I would think.

Thanks for another great upload.

Cori

kelemenj

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:50 am

Hey Cori,
First of all thanks for the encouraging reply. :)
I don't have tab but I will try to explain what I did.
The intro chords: D (open A, open D, F# at 11th fret on g string with middle finger, A on 10th fret of b string with index, open E) A (Slide shape down 5 frets) Em7 (open)

Verse : D :hammer on the f# (4th fret of d string in kind of a shuffle) A ( hammer on C# of A string) Em: Open but add the 2nd fret then the third fret of the high e string

Chorus; Em7, A7

D to A in a shuffle pattern to bridge verse 1 & 2
Bridge: Dm, A7. During the vocals, I am hitting the C on the A string on the Dm chord and the C# on the A7 chord.
Instrumental part of bridge: play the same chords but hammer on the 1st fret of E string pull off to open E.

Third verse; We have a modulation! chords: E, B7, A, B7, Chorus after 3rd verse is A, B7. Outro is E, B7 (open).
and the lead riff: a, d, f#, a, f#, a,a,a,aa, ggg, f#, F#, f#, eee, d, c#, d. I play some open strings and some thirds. the chords over this are D and A.

I know this probably isn't all that clear but hopefully with the video it can give you an idea of how to play this.

Cheers,
John
I think I could clear it up by posting a quick video explaining it better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic