Busking Blowin' Smoke

jimi40

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Here is a cover of Kacey Musgraves', Blowin' Smoke. She is a new country artist that Gabriella really likes. Thanks to Hydroman for telling me about the backing track website. I used a drum/bass track on this song. The song is only 2 chords and the backing track beefed up the sound. Thanks for watching.

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Jimi & Gabriella:

I love that you guys play together! Very cool. I am also glad that you share that with us here at TG. The both of you look very comfortable and play very smoothly. That backing track was nice, I will have to check into that myself.

Cheers,

Jason

daryl

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 pm

I thought that was GREAT!

Two things.....I like the new camera angle, any chance of pulling it in a little closer? And second, any chance Jimi of you singing the backing vocals to this song?

familyman4

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Looks like fun! I hope you guys are enjoying all of this time together playing music. Keep them coming please....

Bart

Hydroman52

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Gabriella & Jimi,

Nice work on this song! Glad the Backing track site is working out for you. Credit really goes to Daryl for showing it to me. You’re doing a good job on the queues for pauses and such. The backing track waits for no one, so you’ve got to stay on it. When you find a real live drummer and bass player to include in your band, it will add another dimension to the dynamics of your performances. And it’s a lot of fun, too!

I’m not sure how you see it, but, to me, there is a huge difference between playing along with the original recording and playing against a backing track like you are doing here. While you get good experience playing along with the recording, any mistakes you make tend to be covered up more, plus you are “helped along” by the instruments and singers you are duplicating. With the backing track, you have complete voids to fill without help. Any mistakes, missed queues, etc. are right out in the open for yourselves and all to hear. It seems to be much easier figuring out where, what, and how to improve.

It’s good seeing you two doing these songs.

Hydroman52

willem

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:49 pm

That was fun,,I also infest in those costum backingtracks when the song is present on that site,,what I also do is putting the mp3 in a slowdowner for practice along with,

Willem

jimi40

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Yes, the backing track really forces us to stay in time. My 7yr old son takes drum lessons, there is a drum kit directly opposite us in the video. I am hoping some day he will be able to join us. Thanks for all the responses. It's great fun for both of us.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:35 am

G & J,

I must admit to not knowing Kacey Musgraves before seeing this :huh:

After a bit of research, I think I get some of the feel behind her music ... although classified as "country", there is a more socially critical aspect to her lyrics.

So I appreciate your duo all the more, because of the rebel in there ...

Jimi, I probably missed something in a previous post ... is there a family relationship with Gabriella ?

Regardless, you have quite a nice vibe performing together ... please put up some more ! B).

Pierre

jimi40

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 am

Yes
Gabriella is my 13yr old daughter

I find "country music" to be sort of mixed bag these days. Many songs seem more pop than country. It's not like the old days of "country and western".

Looking to do more of her music in the future.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic