Crazy camp-inspired idea - TG virtual open mic

TGMatt

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 pm

kanefsky wrote:
Recording a video offline by yourself isn't quite the same as performing live at an open mic (for obvious reasons). Something like Hangouts On Air would be a much closer approximation of the experience.

Disclaimer: I work for Google but I could just as easily tell you about a bunch of Google products I'm not in the least bit fond of. Even a couple of the ones I worked on myself. In fact, especially a couple of the ones I worked on myself :)

--
Steve
Hey buddy, good to see you pop up again after camp, I think we can add this to our product mix and integrate it, (can u email me at my private email to discuss), but in interim can u help people Tag the uploads so at least we can get a link back and mention..(you know what that means for us mate)

Cheers

neverfoundthetime

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:02 am

Good thinking shel! Good technology Steve! This sounds like a great idea and would fill the space of the long lost and lamented winebars (Webinars) in spades.

Just thinking aloud here:

- We could have a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly Friday Night at the TG Open Mic Hangout
A time space where those who want/can/have time can just join in and play or not and just hold their guitars
Will need a good think through on the time slot but weekend Fr-Sun seem ideal
Could be hosted and lead by a different TGer each time... there would be a number of folks who'd be talented at that

- Nothing to stop anyone playing along with performer as long as their mic is turned of at that point. Obviously time-lag
prevents a full group play along as Steve mentions

- Could be used for teaching too

- Has the potential to be very sticky social glue for the TG community and attracted newbies

This even makes me feel all cuddly and warm about Google owning my soul! :laugh:

kanefsky

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am

Saturday or Sunday would be better for me. By the time I get home from work and eat dinner on Fridays, it'd be close to midnight Eastern time. We might want to schedule some European-friendly times as well.

It's a good idea for everyone to get into the habit of muting their mics when they're not talking or playing for the rest of the group. Then as you said, you're free to play or sing along without sounding out of sync to everyone else.

Anyone that thinks they might want to participate can add their name and Google login email address to the list here: http://goo.gl/tQzbU7. Even if you might just want to join in and chat without performing you should add yourself to the list. I'll setup a Google+ circle with everyone and maybe we can do a trial run in the next week at some point just to see if we can get all the technology to work :)

--
Steve

willem

Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 am

kanefsky wrote:
Saturday or Sunday would be better for me. By the time I get home from work and eat dinner on Fridays, it'd be close to midnight Eastern time. We might want to schedule some European-friendly times as well.

It's a good idea for everyone to get into the habit of muting their mics when they're not talking or playing for the rest of the group. Then as you said, you're free to play or sing along without sounding out of sync to everyone else.

Anyone that thinks they might want to participate can add their name and Google login email address to the list here: http://goo.gl/tQzbU7. Even if you might just want to join in and chat without performing you should add yourself to the list. I'll setup a Google+ circle with everyone and maybe we can do a trial run in the next week at some point just to see if we can get all the technology to work :)

--
Steve

Saterday looks allright,,don't know how my speaking Englisch is and also don't know if I play something,,,the whole thing would be a learning curve for me,,so maybe I only watch(or not)... I put my name on the list and we'll see.

Willem..

ps I live in a flatbuilding so playing in the night (after 24.00 pm?)is not welcome...

auntlynnie

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:05 am

So it sounds like both ideas are possible.

Someone suggested that we open up a thread like the 3 and 4 chord busking thread. It seems like that could work really well.
Are you going to kick us off, Michele? I'll jump right in and record the song I did for the open mic at camp.

I'll join the hangout events anytime they happen.

Looking forward to seeing you all on both!

Lynn

michelew

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:50 am

Hey Lynn,

It would be GREAT to hear the song you performed at the camp open mic. Once you record it, all you need to do to kick off the 'virtual open mic' thread is to open the busking uploader and when it asks for band/artist name just put in the name of this project. I guess you can call it whatever you feel reflects its real nature, but I'd stick "open mic" in there somewhere. :) maybe you could call it one of the following:

- virtual open mic
- virtual quasi open mic
- let's pretend it's an open mic
- whatever you'd play at an open mic
- OK it's not an open mic, but whatever let's play
- pass the guitar around
- testing, testing, til we get a real virtual open mic where we can hang out on air woo hoo! (OK that one might be a bit long).

I'm sure you'll think of something.

Really I have no singing voice at the moment and the instrumentals I know have all been recorded and uploaded already (and they're rusty). So unless you want to hear me REALLY strangle a Jason Mraz song or anything else, I really should wait for this cold to rack off before I record myself trying to sing.

Go for it! In fact it seems only fitting that a camp open mic performer, in fact a camp ambassador like yourself, should kick this off.

I'm looking forward to it Lynn.

Shel

michelew

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 pm

So for anyone interested in joining the open mic thread or being an audience member, the fun has begun; Lynn has kicked it off with a great tune. You'll find it here.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/149 ... hread.html

Feel like playing? Jump on in. :)

kanefsky

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm planning to create a hangout tomorrow (Saturday) at 6pm Pacific time, going to around 7 depending on whether anyone else joins or not :) If you want to join and you haven't already added your gmail address (or whatever address you use for your Google login), please do so here: http://goo.gl/tQzbU7. If you're on that list you should get an invitation to join when the hangout starts. I'll also post something here.

This will just be a trial run, so all you need to do is show up and prove that we can all connect and talk to each other. Ideally you'll have your guitar in your lap as well, so we can see how well we can hear those. No one has to play anything more than a chord or two unless they want to. You can even pick the chords :) After that we can chat about anything, like a real-time version of the forum or a virtual version of the camp.

Note that you might be prompted to download a plugin the first time you try to connect to a hangout from a Mac or PC. You can get a jump start on that by going here: https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin.

--
Steve

Hydroman52

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Steve,

Normally, I would try to connect with you all, but we have a gig tomorrow night and that is smack in the middle of the second set. Another time? Keep us all filled in on how it goes.

Hydroman52

willem

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:51 am

kanefsky wrote:
I'm planning to create a hangout tomorrow (Saturday) at 6pm Pacific time, going to around 7 depending on whether anyone else joins or not :) If you want to join and you haven't already added your gmail address (or whatever address you use for your Google login), please do so here: http://goo.gl/tQzbU7. If you're on that list you should get an invitation to join when the hangout starts. I'll also post something here.

This will just be a trial run, so all you need to do is show up and prove that we can all connect and talk to each other. Ideally you'll have your guitar in your lap as well, so we can see how well we can hear those. No one has to play anything more than a chord or two unless they want to. You can even pick the chords :) After that we can chat about anything, like a real-time version of the forum or a virtual version of the camp.

Note that you might be prompted to download a plugin the first time you try to connect to a hangout from a Mac or PC. You can get a jump start on that by going here: https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin.

--
Steve

I have all ways a problem which time this is in the Netherlands,??

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic