Crazy camp-inspired idea - TG virtual open mic

willem

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:48 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
We missed you Andy and Dean, looks like the UK ran out of bandwidth! But it was very cool to hook up with Steve, Willem, Bob, Jim and our very own Vanessa! The technology works really well and although the sound quality of the playing gets a bit mangled, as a social and motivational event its great! :)

I second that,,its really social and motivational,,,It sets me to practice whole songs for next time(but we have a housemove coming),,Pity is the guitar sound is a bit mangled but the singin voice is very clear,,

Thanks Steve,Jim,Vanessa,Chris and Bob,,Bob it was nice to see a glimp of your family too and Jim your Doggy,,,I put the cats in an other room..just joking..

Willem

BobR

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks Steve, Vanessa, Chris , Willem, and Jim, for another fun time at the Hangout. :) :) See you next time

Bob

jimcjimc

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Yeah, Thanks every one! It is social and motivational! I was wondering if it would be better if we all muted when someone starts singing and playing. I noticed while some folks were playing, the sound would cut off briefly and someone else would pop up on screen.

And Chris, while Smoke on the Water may have been inspired by a fire in Switzerland, we had rivers catching on fire in the good ol' USA - Here is the Randy Newman song:

BobR wrote:
Thanks Steve, Vanessa, Chris , Willem, and Jim, for another fun time at the Hangout. :) :) See you next time

Bob

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Andy:

Once you log into Google+, over on the right, your screen should look something like the pic below. While the hangout was still live, there was a message from Steve inviting us to join in. I showed up late, and still had the option to join, but they were just talking about wrapping it up, and I did not want to throw a monkey wrench into the works.... :P

Jason

daryl

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:53 pm

That was fun to watch. Thanks.

Jim, your strumming and vocal timings are get better and better.

Bob & Chris regarding singing songs while playing the way Neil teaches them: I think the secret is to learn to play the song so that you don't have to think about what you are playing any longer - that way your hands "just work" and you can focus on the timing of the vocals. I thought it was clear when Chris did HIS version of "If You Could Read My Mind" it was obvious that he wasn't thinking about HOW to play the song. But when Chris tried to play the song the way Neil teaches it, his mind was focused on the mechanics and finger picking patters - there's no way one could sing the song at that point. Does that make sense?

Vanessa, it was a joy to hear "Homeward Bound".

Steve, you sure are a busy busy guy. I'd like to hear more about your improv class and what sort of things you do in the ProTools class.

Willem, nice job on Blackbird.

sandysue

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:08 am

okay Bob, Chris, Willem, Jim, Steve and Vanessa. I hope I didn't miss anyone. I just got finished watching your hangout video. I was one of the faithful ones that watched the whole thing. You guys were all so much fun to watch. Between Jim setting up his video equipment for nearly half of the recording session, to steve telling about all of his numerous projects, including the 1,500 pound sound room with the 46 boxes and 1000+ screws, or something like that, and electronic equipment from one end of that room to the other, and Vanessa making priceless faces while she was listening to all of these stories, I nearly died laughing. I think I might have heard some of you actually playing your guitars a little bit, and maybe a little piano music in there somewhere as well, but it was really more like comedy night at at the improv. Great video. I loved it. Thanks guys

Sandy

benfield113

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:39 am

Hi Jason,

Nice to hear from you again after the IGC.

I did get that screen up, but no invite came through. Looking at the log, I think I was added late to the circle and the information didn't make the system before the hangout started.

Never mind... I'll be at the next one. :)

TGNesh

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:07 am

Haha! Oh my, you áre a faithful one watching the whole thing!! :laugh: :cheer: Priceless faces??? Me??! :P But yeah there were moments here and there that I could barely hold it together, haha! :laugh: :laugh: Glad you enjoyed it Sandy! ;)

Thanks Daryl for your kind comment, my favorite S&G-song! :)

sandysue wrote:
okay Bob, Chris, Willem, Jim, Steve and Vanessa. I hope I didn't miss anyone. I just got finished watching your hangout video. I was one of the faithful ones that watched the whole thing. You guys were all so much fun to watch. Between Jim setting up his video equipment for nearly half of the recording session, to steve telling about all of his numerous projects, including the 1,500 pound sound room with the 46 boxes and 1000+ screws, or something like that, and electronic equipment from one end of that room to the other, and Vanessa making priceless faces while she was listening to all of these stories, I nearly died laughing. I think I might have heard some of you actually playing your guitars a little bit, and maybe a little piano music in there somewhere as well, but it was really more like comedy night at at the improv. Great video. I loved it. Thanks guys

Sandy

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:14 am

Bob & Chris regarding singing songs while playing the way Neil teaches them: I think the secret is to learn to play the song so that you don't have to think about what you are playing any longer - that way your hands "just work" and you can focus on the timing of the vocals. I thought it was clear when Chris did HIS version of "If You Could Read My Mind" it was obvious that he wasn't thinking about HOW to play the song. But when Chris tried to play the song the way Neil teaches it, his mind was focused on the mechanics and finger picking patters - there's no way one could sing the song at that point. Does that make sense?
Daryl
That is pretty much how I see ittoo, Daryl. You have to have one part on automatic so that you can focus on the more challenging part (for Bob by his own admission, the singing). For me its always the guitar part, once that sits its easy to add the vocals although some songs are trickier than others because of the phrasing.

Glad you had as much fun as we did Sandy (every time I played, it was always Vanessa's face in the middle of the screen so I could see all those expressions too!) ;-). You, Daryl, Jason and Andy should clock in next time too!

Music Junkie

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:57 am

benfield113 wrote:
Hi Jason,

Nice to hear from you again after the IGC.

I did get that screen up, but no invite came through. Looking at the log, I think I was added late to the circle and the information didn't make the system before the hangout started.

Never mind... I'll be at the next one. :)
O.K., that would certainly change things.... :P

I have a decent webcam built into my laptop, but I need to get my mic set up. I have a decent little mic that has the 1/8" jack, so I think it will work o.k....

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic