Crazy camp-inspired idea - TG virtual open mic

willem

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:08 am

BobR wrote:
Hi Steve,

I've watched the 2nd hangout and enjoyed it very much, very cool. Not so much echo as the first one so I'll be using headphones next time.

Thanks for sharing Jim, Lynn, Wiley, Steve

Bob

Yes that was a better sound,,I am curious if we can handle the best sound we can get,,,I used my boss micro br with the mike (stereo mike) plugged in and then into my computer..I don't know if the adjustments ( a bit reverb and decibell) that I did on the boss did any work..

Wiley great to hear your ''blackbird''...

W.

wiley

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:08 am

sandysue

Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Lynn, Jim, Wiley, and Steve. I just finished watching virtual open mic # 2. The sound was good, and I loved watching all of you playing your guitars. Most of all, it was fun to listen to all of you talking with each. I kept laughing along with you guys. Steve, you are obviously a really intelligent guy, but you also have a very endearing sense of humor about yourself and the rest of the world. Thanks guys, you all made me laugh and smile today.

Sandy

kanefsky

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:05 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hi Steve, great to see the first Hangout take place, sorry I was not there, missed it all as I didn't notice that you were not able to connect me. I think Google plus is set up ok now (address was correct)... how do i check that and how do I get on board?
Hey Chris, I was able to find you just now so I added you to the CIrcle. Looking forward to seeing you next time.

--
Steve

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Many thanks Steve! I got the confirmation. So when is the next Hangout?

kanefsky

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Probably next Saturday or Sunday. I'm open to suggestions from those who want to participate.

--
Steve

dekotaj

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 am

WOW, How cool is that.

That was just great to watch!! Thanks folks. Looking forward to you next get together.

Kev

jimcjimc

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 am

kanefsky wrote:
Thanks Michelle! I think the echo was because of some open speakers that were being picked up by the microphone, feeding the sound coming from the hangout back into the hangout with a delay. It's best to use headphones or at least a directional mic that doesn't pick up the sound from the speakers. I think we had that fixed for the second go-round.

Some other issues we experienced are that it's tough to get a wide enough angle with an iPad without putting it too far away to see the screen. It's better to use a laptop or desktop computer with a bigger screen and a separate webcam. Also it's hard to get a good balance between singing and guitar volumes with a single microphone, particularly if you're strumming a steel string guitar with a pick. One solution is a directional mic that's pointed towards your mouth and away from the guitar. Another would be separate guitar and vocal mics going through a mixer. Or you can just sing really loud, or avoid singing entirely :)

--
Steve
Anyone have recommendations for a webcam? I have an old logitech quickcam express I had gotten as a freebie at a trade show over 10 years ago, but it doesn't seem to work with with new OS. I started to look on amazon, but I thought I would check here first for suggestions.

kanefsky

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 am

jimcjimc wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for a webcam? I have an old logitech quickcam express I had gotten as a freebie at a trade show over 10 years ago, but it doesn't seem to work with with new OS. I started to look on amazon, but I thought I would check here first for suggestions.
If you're on Windows, the Logitech C920 is good: . It has some features that won't work on a Mac, so for the Mac the C615 is probably better: (or the C910 if you can find one for a reasonable price. It's been discontinued). The C615 is fine for PCs too, and it's a little cheaper.

One thing to look at is the way the webcam mounts. Some will work better than others depending on where you want to put it. Most are designed to sit on a flat surface or attach to the top of your computer screen. Microsoft makes one that also has a standard tripod socket, which gives you a lot more placement options since you can use any kind of tripod you want:

In reality it's hard to go wrong these days. Most webcams are much better quality than what you can stream live over the Internet.

--
Steve

wiley

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic