Crazy camp-inspired idea - TG virtual open mic

jimcjimc

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 pm

wiley wrote:
The camera I used on both is the Zoom Q2Hd - around $200us, it's a 'hybrid' of sorts, one of many. The Q2 is also a portable palm sized camcorder, runs on either 2@AA batteries, via USB (PC, not iOS) or 'wall wart' and has the capability of 16gb sdxc cards (up to 8hrs of HD video recording on one card) and, the sound is better than the picture with stereo mics which are 'angle' (meaning they adjust from omnidirectional to unidirectional and such) adjustable.
I do have the kodak ZI8 I bought 3-4 years ago for making videos. Would that work for google+ hangouts? Is there a way to film and feed the streams at the same time (if that question even makes sense)?

willem

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:26 pm

jimcjimc wrote:
wiley wrote:
The camera I used on both is the Zoom Q2Hd - around $200us, it's a 'hybrid' of sorts, one of many. The Q2 is also a portable palm sized camcorder, runs on either 2@AA batteries, via USB (PC, not iOS) or 'wall wart' and has the capability of 16gb sdxc cards (up to 8hrs of HD video recording on one card) and, the sound is better than the picture with stereo mics which are 'angle' (meaning they adjust from omnidirectional to unidirectional and such) adjustable.
I do have the kodak ZI8 I bought 3-4 years ago for making videos. Would that work for google+ hangouts? Is there a way to film and feed the streams at the same time (if that question even makes sense)?

My manual does'nt say you can use it as a webcam!!! you would be very happy with the logitech c920...wide screen too,etc

W.

kanefsky

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:38 pm

jimcjimc wrote:
I don't think so. It's pretty unusual for a standalone video camera to also work as a webcam in real-time, except through HDMI and then you need a separate capture device for your computer to convert the HDMI input.

Digital cameras, smartphones, and tablets are getting so good at shooting video that most of the market for standalone video cameras is disappearing except at the very high end. If you're buying something now you're probably better off just getting a webcam for live streaming, and use a digital camera or smartphone for shooting video away from your computer.

--
Steve

wiley

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:04 pm

kanefsky

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:55 am

willem wrote:
you would be very happy with the logitech c920...wide screen too,etc
So I found out a couple new things today. One is that the C920 will work fine on a Mac (although it probably can't take advantage of hardware encoding like it can on Windows). It also has a tripod socket which is great for giving you the ability to put it wherever it takes to get the best view of you and your guitar.

The other thing I discovered is that there's this fantastic app for the Mac called Webcam Settings (available in the Mac App Store) that will let you customize the picture on any webcam in all sorts of ways (exposure, brightness, contrast, white balance, sharpness, focus, pan/zoom, etc. depending on the model of webcam) Those are all things you normally can't control on a Mac. I was having major problems with the lights in my Whisperroom confusing the heck out of the exposure and white balance on my webcam. Now I can fix that quite easily. Best $7.99 I've spent in a long time :)

--
Steve

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:03 am

Any Hangout planned soon? This weekend or next?
Chris

kanefsky

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 am

I'm up for doing another one this weekend, but probably just one this time :) I doubt there's a single time that works for everyone so we might just have to choose different times from week to week or have multiple hangouts with different hosts. Maybe everyone will get bored or run out of material very quickly and won't even want to do one a week. I'm already out of material myself :) But I can sit around and switch cameras and applaud the other players :)

Any suggestions for times this weekend? Either of the times we did last weekend (12PM Pacific/3PM Eastern, 6PM Pacific/9PM Eastern) is OK with me. Sunday is fine too.

--
Steve

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 am

12PM Pacific/3PM Eastern would be 9 Pm Central European so that would work for me and I'd be in for this Saturday.
Any other takers?
Chris

willem

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
12PM Pacific/3PM Eastern would be 9 Pm Central European so that would work for me and I'd be in for this Saturday.
Any other takers?
Chris

Thats allright for me too,,I think I be your audience and clap...maybe I play a Beatle tune(don't know yet,but),,

Is there a time diffrents between Holland and the Swiss??

Willem

PS ,,Bob R are you coming too??

BobR

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:36 am

Saturday 3PM Eastern would be good for me. Look forward to another hangout.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic