Crazy camp-inspired idea - TG virtual open mic

wiley

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Music Junkie

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 pm

kanefsky wrote:
kanefsky wrote:
The first hangout went great! We had five people. I didn't start the recording until we'd been going a little while, but here's what I got:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/1FCBO4zJfr ... detailpage

Not sure why the video embedding doesn't seem to be working, so you'll probably have to click through on the link.
I think the way this works, the higher quality video takes a while to process and so all you might see for a little while is a pretty low-resolution version.

--
Steve
Steve:

That looked very cool. Glad you were able to make that happen. Kind of reminiscent of the TG Live days... :) It was very kind of you to get that going.

Jason

kanefsky

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:30 pm

wiley wrote:
That was wild, thanks Steve, Willem, Bob and of course Ness.

Now, are we still on for later or not? And, to my understanding (of which is of a low bit) any one of us can 'host' one of these right??
Yes, anyone should be able to host a hangout. There might be a few hoops to jump through to set your account up for the hangouts on-air which is broadcast live and recorded for later. Ultimately I'd like to see one of the TG staff hosting the hangouts so that all the recordings go to a central place.

I'll jump on again at 6pm in case there's anyone that couldn't make the earlier time that wants to join then.

--
Steve

wiley

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:47 pm

kanefsky

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:53 pm

I'll be starting the hangout again a 6PM Pacific, that's 7 minutes from now.

--
Steve

kanefsky

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:53 pm

Here is the video from TG Virtual Mic #2. Once again I forgot to start the recording at first :) Embedding seems to be working this time, and the HD version of the video was available right away.

--
Steve

michelew

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Gosh Steve, I'm really impressed with how well you've gotten these hangout sessions to work. The first one was suffering from a little echo, but the second didn't seem to have any echo or lag, maybe because you were all from the US. Our clocks changed this weekend for the start of day-light savings. That always mucks up my sense of time. But, if I muster the courage, I might join you all for another hangout session sometime down the track.

In places the sound quality wasn't ideal. I guess that's an individual mic thing.

Good job for getting the real-time TG Hangout going. It's very cool technology. And good job to everyone who turned up and played, it was fun to watch and it looked like you all had a nice time.

The potential for this approach is really huge. Neil and Matt might even consider running the next TG Live in this way, that way people could ask questions in real time and even play something they're having trouble with that they think Neil and Nessa might be able to advise on. Food for thought.

Good job.

Michele

kanefsky

Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:59 am

Thanks Michelle! I think the echo was because of some open speakers that were being picked up by the microphone, feeding the sound coming from the hangout back into the hangout with a delay. It's best to use headphones or at least a directional mic that doesn't pick up the sound from the speakers. I think we had that fixed for the second go-round.

Some other issues we experienced are that it's tough to get a wide enough angle with an iPad without putting it too far away to see the screen. It's better to use a laptop or desktop computer with a bigger screen and a separate webcam. Also it's hard to get a good balance between singing and guitar volumes with a single microphone, particularly if you're strumming a steel string guitar with a pick. One solution is a directional mic that's pointed towards your mouth and away from the guitar. Another would be separate guitar and vocal mics going through a mixer. Or you can just sing really loud, or avoid singing entirely :)

--
Steve

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:59 am

Hi Steve, great to see the first Hangout take place, sorry I was not there, missed it all as I didn't notice that you were not able to connect me. I think Google plus is set up ok now (address was correct)... how do i check that and how do I get on board?

BobR

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:33 am

Hi Steve,

I've watched the 2nd hangout and enjoyed it very much, very cool. Not so much echo as the first one so I'll be using headphones next time.

Thanks for sharing Jim, Lynn, Wiley, Steve

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic