The Virtual Quasi Open Mic Thread

dekotaj

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 am

Hey you two. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

It is sooo much fun to watch you to perform. Your having fun when your playing is so contagious

Cori, What great work with the intro and the solo break.I heard a little bit of a YES song in the intro. VERY VERY nice guitar work.

Miss Krista, Like always you vocal are sooo good, just a pleasures to listen to. The only thing that was off a little was the jacket you are wearing HA HA!!
( Giants fan )

Kev

lueders

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks a so much for your kind words Kevin!! :) :) :)

You're a heck of a performer so when you say something like that...naturally I go away feeling pretty good. So a sincere thanks...and for Krista as well. :) :)

Tesla stealing from Yes, hmmm surely not. lol No. Im sure they probably did. I been sitting here trying to think which song it might be...Roundabout? Long Distance Run Around? at any rate...steal from the best I spose.

A GIANTS baseball fan? I would think those Cubby fans would skin you alive up there. Also, I believe you prefer the Texas Longhorns to the Fighting Illini as well don't you? Takes a lot a guts to do that. lol. I do think you're a Chicago Bears fan though, right? I'm just kidding of course...you're a nice guy and a fine guitar player you can root for whoever you want. lol

Tangent, # 2: Hey, I figure you're just the fella ro show us the way in this thread and post up some cool musical number. Whattaya say? We havent heard anything from u for a while...

EDIT: Hey, Dermot thanks man I missed your second comment! :) Thanks, man! I'm glad you liked it!

michelew

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:49 am

OK - I can’t truly say that this was in one take. I can truly say that trying to video yourself playing in one-take when you know it will continue to have a life is even more nerve-wracking than just videoing, which I already find excruciating. After a few false starts I managed a reasonable version, which then turned out to have a video and audio rate mismatch (I think I had too many things open). I can post the audio if anyone wants proof, actually I think it sounded better. Trying again I got this version, which is sufficiently warty and blunder-ful that I think it qualifies for the open mic thread. I went for simple, there are no fancy moves in here in fact I got way to repetitive, singing (hmmmm...) but hey I got to the end right? :)

So if I’m this nervous in front on the camera sitting in my own house....what would I manage in front of an audience? I sang to a live audience of about 70(?) people not too long ago (Make You Feel My Love - Adele’s version). It was the concert for a singing class I did. I thought I did OK. Everyone told me I did really well (gosh I was nervous!). But, I was sort of glad that no-one had recorded it and I couldn’t view it again afterwards. :) :)

Anyway - warty and all here’s a minimal take version of Landslide.

Shel

So now that I've improved the warty quota of this thread, who's up on the virtual open mic stage next? Kev I second Cori's invitation for you to do your thing.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:25 am

That was simply lovely Shel! Loved it! I am struck by the progress you have made in playing, singing and camera presence over the past 4 years, what a way you have come! I feel all warm and fluffy for you :-).

michelew

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:33 am

Gosh thanks SO much Chris. You've really tickled me with your response, it's way too kind but you've really made me smile. Thank you sweet man.

Will we be seeing something from you soon? I hope so. This should be a no sweat assignment for you, no?

Thanks! :) :) :) :) all grins.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:38 am

... I thought the idea was that you HAVE to sweat it... or it doesn't count! :-)

michelew

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:45 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
... I thought the idea was that you HAVE to sweat it... or it doesn't count! :-)
Haha! Good point. I guess it's all relative, I expect you'll sweat a little less than those of us with way less playing experience and very little to zero experience playing to a live audience. OK, to even things out, perhaps a squash game (no shower and no change of clothes) is in order before you record your video to ensure it counts. :) it's not smell-o-vision so we'll be OK Jack. :)

auntlynnie

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 am

Michele,
That was great! Not warty at all.
And your question about performing at an open mic, I can only say that it was a totally different experience doing an open mic with the TG crowd.
A very positive audience - you would have done well!

Do you think that adding the one-take stipulation is discouraging people?
Lynn

sbutler

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:43 am

Warty eh? Thats a new one. Well I didn't see or hear any warts, but I saw a pretty good attempt at a classic. AND I saw a wisp of a smile here and there. Great Job Michele.

Scott

lueders

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:06 am

What gives. Michele? I counted exactly ZERO warts...loll I'll of course NOW have to go over the entire performance with a more scrupulous ear...going over it: bit by bit, note by note, and syllable by syllable with a fine-toothed comb...loolking for the slightest WART. lo :laugh: l B)

I really, really, really enjoyed it!! I always love your performances. I think after all this time you probably still my favorite TG fingerpicker. (I'm probably the best NOSE picker. lol) And you know what kinda company that puts you in...e-gads there is no shortage of fine fingerpickers here. Anways I digress...

I'm with Chris...your performances are always thoroughly engaging...and seemingly ALWAYS getting stronger. :) :)

And I like your voice a lot...and I also like your regular speaking accent. I guess I had forgotten what it sounded like. Nice timbre...pleasant
sounding...and fitting for you. :)

Thanks again for starting the thread...this kind of thing was missed by quite a few of us I think!

Cori

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic