Busking Rosa May written by Neil Hogan

TGNesh

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Hey all, Neil in particular! :)

Both the review and busking uploader failed on me, so posting it in here. :S

In any way, this past september I just fell in love with this beautiful piece, written by our very own Neil Hogan. He told us (me, Scott and Corina) what inspired him to write Rosa May and then played it for us. I thought it was SO beautiful, just love the feeling of the song. Usually I'm not that into instrumentals, since I like to sing, but I was very much inspired to get it down myself, so indeed, worked on it when I got back home. This is the best job that I could do, for now, when the camera is turned on.

Rosa May is taken from Neil’s album, El Dorado. ‘In July I had a chance to visit Bodie, a well preserved ghost town on the Eastern side of the Sierras. I was intrigued at the sight of a single tombstone outside the walls around the old cemetary. All it said was Rosa May. One can only imagine the transgressions that kept Rosa’s Grave away from those of all the other upstanding citizens of Bodie. Perhaps you can picture this lonely tombstone on a wind swept hillside overlooking the decaying remains of what may have been the wildest town in the Old West.’

What can I say, I just hope I've done it a little justice...

Ness

wrench

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Yes, justice is served. That was gorgeous.

familyman4

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:27 pm

Very well done Vanessa! Those 5 fret stretches are a long way to go from bottom to top string :)

I have this CD of Neil's and need to listen to his version again but I am quite sure it will sound the same as you just played... I do not remember reading or hearing the story of the inspiration behind writing the song. Very interesting.

Thanks for playing and thanks for bringing one of Neil's masterpieces to life!

Bart

kelemenj

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Ness,
That was quite exquisite! Great sounding guitar by the way. I got a copy of that CD in my IGC gift bag. My wife and I listen to it often.
Good to see you posting videos again.

John

lueders

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Isn't that a delightfully moody composition?! Very atmospheric, dreamy and
pastoral...plenty of room for the listener to fill in the narrative of the mysterious Rosa.

(If I was some big shot in Indie films I would definitely have you and Neil write and perform
the music, Vanessa.)

DEFINITEL, DEFINITELY... Expertly written and played.

And yeah...It wouldn't be a Hogan penned tune if it didn't have those 4-5 fret stretches would it? lol

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Vanessa

You play Rosa May really well.
Your guitar has a really amazing sound to it.

Dermot

:)

Music Junkie

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Ness:

Uhh......wow...... That was beautiful. I am sure Neil will be honored by your cover of his beautiful piece. Everyone knows how talented you are, but I am still amazed at how quickly you were able to get something like that together and play it so tightly. B)

It was a pleasure to sit and listen to that.... :) You are so very talented. Thank you for sharing that with all of us here.

Jason

sandysue

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Wow Vanessa

That was beautiful. That is a wonderful piece, It has an almost haunting quality. Great job Vanessa, and of course Neil.

michelew

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:25 pm

tgvanessa wrote:
Hey all, Neil in particular! :)

Both the review and busking uploader failed on me, so posting it in here. :S

In any way, this past september I just fell in love with this beautiful piece, written by our very own Neil Hogan. He told us (me, Scott and Corina) what inspired him to write Rosa May and then played it for us. I thought it was SO beautiful, just love the feeling of the song. Usually I'm not that into instrumentals, since I like to sing, but I was very much inspired to get it down myself, so indeed, worked on it when I got back home. This is the best job that I could do, for now, when the camera is turned on.

Rosa May is taken from Neil’s album, El Dorado. ‘In July I had a chance to visit Bodie, a well preserved ghost town on the Eastern side of the Sierras. I was intrigued at the sight of a single tombstone outside the walls around the old cemetary. All it said was Rosa May. One can only imagine the transgressions that kept Rosa’s Grave away from those of all the other upstanding citizens of Bodie. Perhaps you can picture this lonely tombstone on a wind swept hillside overlooking the decaying remains of what may have been the wildest town in the Old West.’

What can I say, I just hope I've done it a little justice...

Ness

Sue you took the words out of my fingers, "haunting" it is.

WOW! That is such a hauntingly beautiful song... , especially when you know Neil's inspiration for it. Neil, what a gorgeous piece of song writing.

Nessa, GOSH! you have me in tears, there's a huge lump in my throat. You played that piece with so much feeling... words fail me. SO tender, SO heart-breaking. SO SO sad...

Hauntingly beautiful.

love,

Shel

sbutler

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:16 pm

I went to see her on the way home from camp.

This song chills me, and I am really jealous that I have not made nearly the progress as you Vanessa. But I won't give up.
Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic