Busking/Collaboration of CSNY "Taken At All" by AcousticAl & MarkM

MarkM

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Here is the result of a long project that Al and I did. What started out as “hey what do you think? Want to add something to this” turned into what you see here. This started back in the late spring or early Summer. Then life got in the way for both of us and we had to shelve it for one reason or another. The video was taken sometime during the summer. That included my guitar and vocal track. I sent Al the wav file and then he added some vocals and lead. I got that back and sat on it for a while as I was pretty busy at the time. Finally put it together and then we decided to put together a new mix. Got the new mix last night and here it is.

Taken At All is a pretty unknown song by these guys. It was originally released on Crosby & Nash’s Whistling Down the Wire album in 1976. I based this on the unreleased CSN&Y version (1976 as well) that eventually found its way to their box set in the early 90’s. Just a great song. Especially the CSNY version.

Thanks to Al for adding his beautiful harmonies and tasty lead playing. He made this song much better than it deserved. As always it’s such a great experience working on projects with him. Just wish there wasn’t 1000 miles separating us as it would have been much more fun with copious amounts of beer. Thanks Al!

Thanks for listening!!!

FYI. I tried to get this to go in the normal busking up loader but kept getting error messages.

willem

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:40 pm

................................................................................................................................no words,,love it,,just great!!!!

Willem

Hydroman52

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Mark & Al,

That was mighty fine. Just happen to be reading the Neil Young biography, Shakey. Lots of strange happenings going on in the CSN&Y camp at the time. I don't know if I had Whistling Down the Wire on vinyl back in the 70s. Probably did, but that stuff is all gone, and memories of that era are fading, now.

You two did a very good job on this. Thanks for posting,

Hydroman52

pbraun

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Wow guys that was just outstanding, beautiful!
Pete

daryl

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Yep. Very impressive. Nice all around. Solid playing and your vocals meshed really well with Al's. Tasty lead playing there. Too bad we couldn't watch it too. Nice harmonies. Who did the mixing?

BobR

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Mark /Al,

Wow that was fabulous. Such a great mix of everything. I am glad that you two collaborated even if though you could only have cyber beer together :laugh: I hadn't heard this song before but you did such a fine job I just got it on iTunes. As I was playing yours my wife thought it was the one I just downloaded.

Great job and nice to see and hear you both again

Bob

michelew

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:39 pm

WOW guys! I'm truly awestruck by how great this sounds. Your playing and singing works so well together.

Just brilliant.

I don't know this CSNY song, but it's beautiful and... I have a long learning list, but I might just have to give it a look.

You're both inspiring as always.

Great work.

Shel

tombo1230

Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:47 am

Great job guys. I'm glad you stuck to the task and finished it. Worth waiting for I'd say. :)

Tom N.

jayswett

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:10 am

Just incredible. Well done, gentlemen. We should be doing more of these. I realize the time issues, but they sure are alot of fun to create and watch.
Jay

AcousticAl

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:24 am

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I actually had my doubts that this video would get done.. as Mark said we both kind of dropped off the map for a while.. like MONTHS between emails. But I'm definitely glad it came back around. I didn't know this song until Mark asked me to do some accompanying vocals.. but it's sure grown on me! I love CSN&Y's harmonies.. so rich and full, and don't necessarily go where you expect them to. They aren't easy to nail down, at least for me anyway! Btw mark- love your guitar work on this! Spot on as usual.

I'll leave it at that and I'm sure Mark will chime in here at some point.

Cheers!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic