Busking Jackson Browne

Music Junkie

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Jeff:

That makes me smile..... B)

Glad you were able to put something together. I found that I could never sing while trying to pick that song out. Your rendition really makes me want to revisit this tune. Certainly one of my all time favorites. Like we were talking about, pretty much everything off of that first album is top notch in my book. On another album, were you able to make any headway with "My Opening Farewell"? I know the TAB I worked up for that one was very incomplete. :unsure:

I cannot thank you enough for jamming on the JB tunes with me at the IGC. One of my best guitar memories to date. I still play Redneck Friend, but it is not the same when you play it by yourself.... :laugh:

======================================================================================================================================

John:

Great job on "Running on Empty". Your video clips have gotten so much brighter and clearer these days. Much better to watch your performances. You are quite a talented player! B)

======================================================================================================================================

Tom:

Got your PM. I will send the TAB your way. I also have it in a GP file, if you can use it. I'll send both, since they are small files. ;)

Happy Holidays to all of you!

J

familyman4

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Hey John,

Not sure how your video slipped past me? It was posted about the same time I was responding to Jeff. Anyway, really nice job playing that song. I haven't started working on it yet but it's on my list of songs to learn ever since Vanessa posted the lesson... I really need to only work part time so I can learn all the songs on my list :)

Thanks for sharing your song with us....
Bart

tombo1230

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Music Junkie wrote:

Tom:

Got your PM. I will send the TAB your way. I also have it in a GP file, if you can use it. I'll send both, since they are small files. ;)

Happy Holidays to all of you!

J
Thanks Jason,
Appreciated. :) I have the files.

Happy Hogmanay! as we say here in Scotland. :)

Tom.

tombo1230

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Great job John,
you've got that one mastered, nice B) :)

Tom N.

jcrocket

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:07 pm

Hey all, thanks so much for the nice comments!

Daryl, yes, the guitar was mic’ed rather than plugged in. I’ve done it both ways, and I always seem to get better tone with it mic’ed. As for the balance, I have the vocal mic and the guitar mic going into separate tracks in Garageband, which allows me to play with the balance, reverb, etc., of each mic separately post-recording.

Kev, yep, still gigging - we had a nice break in December after a couple of busy months, but will be back at it starting in January.

John - YEAH!!!! - Running on Empty sounded GREAT! You have the perfect singing style for that song, thanks for posting that. Jamming with you at IGC was a blast....you were all over any song I threw out there!

Bart - I really appreciate your comment; I listened to JB’s first five or so albums constantly. I think I had copies of all of them on vinyl AND 8-track.

Tom - glad to see you’re taking a shot at this song. If you haven’t seen it, here’s a good recent video of JB doing it, which shows his technique pretty clearly. Interestingly, it’s in an even lower tuning that the original - I guess even the greats have to make concessions to age.

Jason - once again, thanks for the suggestion and the files you shared. I pretty much put My Opening Farewell on the back burner, but I hope to revisit it soon. Of course, I’m eagerly looking forward to another jam to Redneck Friend come September.

Jeff

BobR

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi Jeff,

Very nicely done all around. As Daryl pointed out everything was very clear.

Hi John,

Also very nice. Always look forward to your posts.

Thanks to both of you for sharing

Bob

tombo1230

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 pm

jcrocket wrote:

Tom - glad to see you’re taking a shot at this song. If you haven’t seen it, here’s a good recent video of JB doing it, which shows his technique pretty clearly. Interestingly, it’s in an even lower tuning that the original - I guess even the greats have to make concessions to age.

Jeff
Thanks for this video Jeff, JB always makes it look effortless. It's such a nice guitar piece.

Tom N.

wrsomers

Sun May 31, 2015 9:45 pm

Something Fine. Guitar: Kimseyized 1977 Martin D28. 5ht string tuned to G.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Music Junkie

Sun May 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Bill:

That was outstanding! B)

One of my favorite JB tunes, and one I have toyed with off and on for a few years now. It always seems to end up on the back burner, mostly due to my lack of diligence. You really did a nice job. Thanks for sharing this.

Jason

daryl

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:08 am

Bill, That was something fine! Very fine. What thumb pick do you use?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic