More Musgraves

jimi40

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Another installment in our Kacey Musgraves covers. Thanks for watching and hope everyone had a great holiday. Working on Touch of Grey currently.

daryl

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Another nice job. Thanks for sharing!

buddy

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:57 am

Jimi. It really warms my heart to see you two playing and singing together. I really enjoyed this, Bud

Hydroman52

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Hey, did someone get a new guitar? A Taylor, perhaps? I've been Internet access challenged lately, so am late to the part here.

You two are doing a good job. Every time you put something up, it gets better. You may want to begin practicing how you plan to interact with the crowd (and the rest of your band). If you watch the videos of Kacey Musgraves, you'll see her look out over the crowd, move around when she's not on the mic, and glance at her band mates now and then. Right now, you are performing only one song at a time. When you start stringing a few together, these things become more important and help with the overall flow.

You might want to try putting a short set list together to perform in front of the camera. Say something about every other song before or after you play it. Something like "Here's a song off of Neil Young's1972 album Harvest" or "Here's a Kacey Musgraves tune called Stupid" or "That last one is a song I wrote while escaping from a bad relationship". You may want to pick a few points on the far wall that represent people in the audience and, occasionally, glance at them and smile while you're singing. Practice introducing the band and welcoming the crowd "Welcome to the fifteenth annual bar-b-que fest. Hope everyone had a good time on the midway." These little things are the simple details that can turn a good performance into a better one.

You may also try standing while you play. This tends to give your performance more energy. During our last gig, we were playing a tune that I do with an acoustic guitar and Harpman Joel joins in on harmonica (Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women?). People were jumping around on the dance floor. None of my acoustic guitars has a strap pin on the neck side (I've been too lazy to install them) so I'm always sitting when I play them. Immediately after we finished the song, a guy leaned in from the crowd and hollered "You guys should be standing when you do that one!" So, I know for sure that it's been noticed. During our electric guitar songs, I always stand........ no complaints there so far.

These are just a couple of observations and things that I have done to help me improve. We actually spend quite a bit of time on this stuff.

I just wanted to let you know that I watch your videos with great interest. Sometimes I'm not always in a good Internet location, and it takes a while to view and successfully comment.

Hydroman52

dekotaj

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:19 pm

You two are doing a great job. Really enjoy watching you folks perform.

Thanks for posting. Keep them coming.

Kev

BobR

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Another very enjoyable post.

It's nice you get to play together.

Bob

Craig

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 pm

My favorite effort by you two so far! Nice job. Jimi, maybe next time glasses and a hat? :laugh:

Keep up the good work!

Craig

jimi40

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks for all the great comments. Playing guitar with my 13yr old is fun and great practice but most of all just good bonding time. I am very happy to share this hobby with her.

Hydroman- yes that is a new Taylor that she got for christmas I got a great deal on craigs list from a musician who was looking to sell a 1yr old Taylor. It sounds and plays great! I really need to work on playing while standing. It is frustrating to start to see some improvement in my playing only to realize that standing while playing is a whole new ball game. I guess it's all part of the journey.

thereshopeyet

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:14 pm

I've watched this a couple of times.
Didn't know the song but I like it, thanks for sharing.
Great guitar playing.

Just love your singing voice too.

Dermot

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic