Busking The Highwaymen

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Hey everyone:

After attending last year's IGC, and being one of only two people that DID NOT get up and do the Open Mic, I made myself a promise that I would try to get over my fears a bit more this year. This is a first take run at "American Remains", one of my three favorite songs by these guys. The other two being "Highwayman" and "Silver Stallion". Of course we have "Highwayman" here as a lesson, and I do play that one from time to time as well.

Like I said, it is first run and you can hear the cracking voice and the forgotten lyrics going on. Oh well. Gotta get started somewhere. B)

Could not get the busking uploader to work, so I just copied the link from my YT channel. Hope that is O.K. :unsure:

Cheers!

BobR

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Jason,

I am not familiar with that song, but I thought you did a really fine job. I didn't notice any cracking voice and I couldn't say if you forgot any lyrics since I don't know them.

I could imagine hearing this at an open mic.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

willem

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Hi Jason,,you have nothing to fear for,,just great..

Very nice on going from chord to chord,,,with the leading finger,,

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Bravo MJ! Is this your very first post... not sure? Well you carry a tune really well and you have a voice that's nice to listen to nad you seemed to have the playing down pretty well, all in all, you could get on stage and do that no problem! The 12 string sound quite different as you are strumming down on the higher stings from top to bottom, right? Or are my eyes and ears deceiving my? Great to see you step out of the closet Jason!

daryl

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:38 pm

FANTASTIC! BRAVO! ENCORE!

Jason, that was great. I didn't notice any nerves. Were they really there? And where were the kids and dogs and wife? When did you find the moment of solitude or were doing an open-mic in front of them all? Great job. Open-mic at the up coming IGC?

TGNesh

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:17 pm

My oh my.....am I PROUD of you!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

You actually sounded really great!! I am nót kidding or trying to be nice/friendly/polite (whatever), you have a very nice/warm/good voice to listen to and you hold the pitch quite well, tooooooo COO!! No excuses this year MJ, we sure got proof now!!! :P (Your twelve-string sounds awesome!)

Ness

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Bob: Thanks for the kind words, they are VERY much appreciated.. :)

Willem: Thank you for the feedback. I still catch myself with HORRIBLE habits as far as my right hand (left for all of you backwards players).. :laugh:

Chris: Not my first post, but first with any vocals since the contests back in the beginning, and first in a couple of years. I have no idea where my vocal range is and feel super self conscious about even trying to sing. Yeah, the lighter strings are first on the downstrokes. Thanks for the confidence. :)

Daryl: You are always quite encouraging both in the forum and in PM's. It is part of what makes this site the best place to put yourself out of your comfort zone. It is one thing to finally get a video up, it will be something else entirely to do something like that in front of actual people... :woohoo: My wife took the boys bowling last night and I had the house to myself. Well, the dog was there, but she was sleeping...lol I had enought time to get everything set up and make a video. It was fun, and I hope to do it more often.

Ness: Thank you so much. I also want to thank you again for being so nice at the IGC and not pushing too hard. I know you wanted everyone up there, buy you also were very cool about my nervousness. I am hoping to get some more songs up, and get over this part of it. Playing in front of people live may still make me freeze up though... ;) I have to start somewhere. Dennis pointed out long ago that you just have to do it enough to get over it. ;)

Thanks again everyone!

Jason

AcousticAl

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 pm

MJ! Well done sir. Don't sell yourself short.

Your voice reminds me of someone... can't place it yet, but it has a vulnerable quality to it without airs.

To quote neverfoundthetime.. HE WHO DARES.. WINS!!

Congrats!

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:26 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
MJ! Well done sir. Don't sell yourself short.

Your voice reminds me of someone... can't place it yet, but it has a vulnerable quality to it without airs.

To quote neverfoundthetime.. HE WHO DARES.. WINS!!

Congrats!
Thanks, Al. I appreciate the support and kind words. Yep, you have to try in order to get over fears and get better. Let's throw some caution to the wind in 2014. ;)

J

familyman4

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Way to go Jason! Very, very nice indeed!!!! :)

It was a pleasure watching AND hearing you perform this song. You don't have any reason not to continue building on this foundation now.

If I were to give you one small piece of advise, it would be: To try and hit the bass strings (bottom 2) when playing the G and F# chords. That Taylor 12 string will have a beautiful, deep sound, and on those chords, it will really sound wonderful. Just doing that on the chords that can utilize all 6 strings will add a lot of depth to the performace.

Again, thank you for sharing and keep up the good work!

Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic