Collaboration of "I'm Coming Over (Hidden Track)" - Jason Mraz - by Vanessa and Michele

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:59 pm

Michelle, Michelle's sisters :dry: and Vanessa and Vanessa's sisters :P !
What a great collaboration.

You are a musical Family !!!

:ohmy:

Dermot

:laugh: :laugh:

BobR

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Michele / Vanessa,

I just got home and listened to this again with the headphones this time and it sounded great. It was nice to hear all the instruments and your harmonies sounded excellent

Well done all around :) :)

Bob

michelew

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:06 am

What a great set of comments! Thanks everyone for being so enthusiastic and supportive. The project itself was really fulfilling and a lot of fun. Getting great comments tops it off of course.

Daryl - I'm not sure I've ever been "wicked cool" before. :) I LIKE it! Of course, I'm sharing the stage of a legend and I'm sure she's been called "wicked cool" before or something equivalent. :) I used a MIDI keyboard connected to my iMac and into GarageBand to generate the flute track. I used the same approach to generate the organ sounds we were thinking of using for the Paul Thorn project. There seem to be a heap of applications that you can use midi keyboard to do a similar thing with. I don't know whether GuitarPro can do it. You'd love it actually. I have a full length keyboard but you could get a short one and still have a great time generating all sorts of synthesised instruments. I find it really useful for working out harmonies too. Have a go.

Jason - Thanks!!! Glad you liked it.

Bart - What a sweet comment. :blush: thank you. It's so nice to hear you liked my harmonies, and especially that you enjoyed my bass playing. Do you play? It's a lot of fun if you've never tried it.

Sandy - Thanks!!! I LOVE being called a musician. :)

Tom - I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Your various videos inspired me to put a bit more effort into video creation. Thanks for the nice comments.

Scott - Damn! Now I've spoiled a perfect grimacing record by cracking a hint of a smile. :) my reputation is shot! Actually I considered reshooting some of the video fragments and the bass especially because I was so serious. But, I figured most eyes would be on Ness' gorgeous smiles.

Bob - Thanks for listening to it a couple of times. It's definitely better through headphones. Thanks for the praise.

Chris - Glad to be of service as a sleeping aid. :) I hope it soothed your mind. Weren't Nessa's drums cool! She thought the track looked boring, hence the little window. I think she's just awesome regardless of the instrument she's playing. Thanks!

Willem - What nice comments! Thanks. Jason and his band are amazing aren't they. I saw them in concert last year. SO cool! They were amazing musicians and were playing all sorts of things, many multi instrumentalists amongst them. Mona was incredible! She made me want to take up percussion. The blue t-shirt I was wearing with LOVE on it (in geometric shapes) was from the concert. See them if you get the chance. You'll love it. Thanks for emphasising "both". :kiss: Touched.

Dermot - Haha! Yes it's a sister act indeed. :) thanks.

Thanks again everyone.

Shel

MarkM

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:21 am

Ladies that was just fantastic!!!! Wow!! I'm really proud and impressed by this performance. You two should feel really great about the results. More!!!!!!

MarkM

michelew

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 am

Mark - WOW! Thanks so much for your sweet and enthusiastic comment. :blush: chuffed!

lueders

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:58 am

WHAT THE??????? :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

How long has this been here??

Vanessa and Michele...Michele and Vanessa that WAS Stupendoriously Fanta-bulously Superb-erino!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

SO LUSH!!! From the awesome harmonies to the Boss's "I'm on fire" sounding drums in the background!!

I DIG THE BASS MICHELE GREAT JOB!!! You two sing really well together!!!!

Cori

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:16 am

Wow! That was great. Nice work...both of you!

michelew

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks guys!!!!

Cori - GOSH! I so love getting a response from you. You never fail to put a big smile on my dial. And this time your beautiful exuberance has put it over the top. :) :) :) :kiss: it sure was fun playing with Ness. She's such an amazing musician and so cool. But then you already know all about that. Thanks sweet man. BTW - you would LOVE playing the bass. It feels so great ;)

Hydro - thanks! That means a lot coming from you. The uploads that you and bassman Jerry have posted are one of the reasons I was inspired to learn the bass. Thanks.

I feel like I'm hogging all the kudos. The awesome Ness will take her bows shortly. She's crazy busy with teaching, preparing lessons and other important life stuff.

Thanks again guys. I'm really glad you got a kick out if it.

Shel

dennisg

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:35 pm

It's a rarity that my first exposure to a new song captivates me, but this one most definitely did. Part of that is due to the wonderfulness of the song itself, another part due to the quality of the performances, and still another part the result of the judicious use of your layering of instruments.

It's even more rare that I watch a performance (including my own) more than once, but I've sat here mesmerized this morning through three different viewings, and I'm just gob-smacked each time. The combination of Ness's singing in a higher register than normal and Shel's husky harmonies results in a blend that I can only describe as angelic. Perfect.

Also excellent is the instrumentation. With software like Garage Band and others, it's so easy to slather on so many sounds that the end result is muddy and overwrought. But I thought your choices were right on. Ness, your guitar playing is always gorgeous and instructive ... and Shel, there's not a note I would add, subtract, or alter about your bass playing.

Thanks so much for the collaboration. I'm happier today just having watched it.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Michele, Vanessa,

Of course this is SO coooool. Deserves listening with headphones on for sure ! Or a great sound setup !

Just between you and me ... Jason Mraz' list of hits has more than one of what could fall into the "girl songs" category.
I just don't see that many guys deciding to sing one of them by a campfire, unprompted ... y'know, genetic predisposition and all. :huh:

But in this performance you manage to replace that particular skewed view with a happy grinning wonderment ... it's a joy, I'm glad for myself and for you both. :cheer:

There's a contagious warm energy in this video ... it's very soothing, especially since our current north american winter has been so brutal.

But I wonder about how long your collaborations can actually continue, because of personality differences.
Your two singers look like they are easy-going. They probably get along just fine, but your drummer and bass player seem kinda rough around the edges.
Good luck managing those clashing temperaments !

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic