Collaboration of "I'm Coming Over (Hidden Track)" - Jason Mraz - by Vanessa and Michele

michelew

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 am

Hi everyone,

Some of you may know that Vanessa and I are Jason Mraz fans. Some time ago, she recorded "I'm Coming Over (Hidden Track)"; just her playing the guitar and singing. I LOVED it.

The original song performed on the album (call "Hidden track") and especially on stage, has many many tracks; many voices and lots of instruments. So I suggested we have a go at adding some more tracks to it; for example the flute (which is important to the song), a bass and perhaps some backing vocals.Though at this point I've lost track of who suggested what. To my delight, she thought it was a cool idea. I sent her a synthesised flute track soooooooome time ago. It was her summer as you'll see in the video.

Add in one excuse or another to this story, some good, some pathetic. :) For example, my acoustic bass moved out of home and lived in the repair shop for quite some time. After waiting for aaaaaaages I went on the hunt for an electric bass (first visual appearance in this video). Decide for yourself which basket those two excuses belong in. Well getting to the point, it took me until recently to get back to this and finally record the tracks I promised. Ness has added more too as you'll see, in fact as you've never seen her before on TG. SO cool! Yet ANOTHER instrument from our multi-instrumentalist.

I've had a heap of fun and learned a lot from working with Ness on this (beside the fact that she's a sensitive, patient and intuitive teacher, which I already knew). For one thing, I learned the validity of the phrase "less is more", particularly for the bass. Thanks for being such a sweet friend Ness. You've got such a nice way of making suggestions which improve things and allow for personal style and growth, without stifling creativity.

Oh I also learned that's it's not the best idea to update your operating system, your video editor (iMovie) and your music editor (GarageBand) all at once before a new project. So just in cases anyone else thought it was a cool idea... nah!

Here it is. I hope you like it. A TG Collaboration of "I'm Coming Over (Hidden Track)" - by Jason Mraz from his LOVE album.

Enjoy.

daryl

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:42 am

Wicked cool. Very impressive all around. Michele, how did you do the flute part? Garageband? GuitarPro? Something else? What's next for you two?

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:29 am

Wow, very beautiful! That all came together in an amazing finished product. The harmonies were great, and the added drum, bass and flute tracks really gave the song some texture. I am not overly familiar with this song, but I can't imagine the original is much better than this. You ladies did a spectacular job!

Jason

familyman4

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:50 am

You said to "enjoy" and that is indeed what I have done!

Like a bottle of wine, some things need to age. So, the fact that this collaboration has taken so long to complete is not a problem. It simply explains how our lives are so busy with "stuff" and that we sometimes need to be patient for perfection... :)

I appreciate every aspect of this song collaboration!

**Vanessa, always a beautiful singer, guitar player and now add in some drums. Great job!

**Michele, Great harmonies and bass playing! I have listen to your song with and w/o my headphones. I really paid special attention to your bass in this song and I loved your bass runs and your tempo. You nailed it!

Thank you both for your efforts and for sharing with us!

Bart

sandysue

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 am

Wow Ness and Michele

That was as awesome as it gets. Beautiful collaboration, lovely song, talented musicians. :) you two play great together. Thank you for sharing. Hope there is more where that came from.

Sandy

tombo1230

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:31 am

What can I say......I loved everything about that. Ness fantastic singing and multi instrument playing. Is there any instrument you don't play? B) :)
Michelle, great support with the harmonies and the bass playing. Vocally/musically spot on. Great mixing and video work. It just goes to show, if it's going to be good it's worth waiting for. :) And that was well worth the time you put into it. First class! :)

Tom N.

sbutler

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:17 pm

That was really fun. Fun to watch, listen too, and it looks like it was fun to play. I saw a another wisp of a smile from Michele.

Great job girls. I liked that.

Scott :cheer:

BobR

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Michele / Vanessa

Very nice indeed. Unfortunately I am at work right now and my audio is pretty bad, but it still sounded really nice all around with all the tracks. I will listen again at home with good headphones.

Thanks for the collaboration

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Fine work here girls! It was so nice to my ears that I fell asleep at some point and just woke up half an hour later wondering what I had been doing....! So I'm off to hear it again: -)

Yep, very nice work all round and a real surprise on the drums there Ness! Nice additions from Shel and re-mastered too! Excellent!

willem

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Well Jason Mraz and band(less or more) are great musicians(I'm also a fan),,, and so are you both,,yes both!!!

FAN-tastic,,I enjoyed this from start to end and very glad it was'nt a 3 minute song,,

Very curious how this would sound live,,diffrent of course but maby just greater (if that is a word)..

cheeeeeeeeeers (HERE YOU CAN ADD BILL HIS CLAPPING HANDS)

:woohoo: :cheer: :lol: B) B) :kiss: ;) B)

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic