BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER

buddy

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi All, This is an attempt to put together an acoustic finger style version of this tune that was originally composed on the piano. Any and all comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Bud

willem

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:12 pm

I think that was sensitve..

jayswett

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Nicely done, Buddy. Where was video filmed? Several different camera angles etc.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:57 am

Hey Bud, it's a sweet surprise to see you pop up :)

This guitar playing is very well accomplished, I can't suggest anything regarding musical technique.
It's great to see how you have tamed your naturally strong vocals.
Maybe in part because we here at TG bugged you about that ?

It's such a lovely performance ... but still, NO MERCY HERE (you asked for it) ... first were the flowers ... now here's the pot !
May I suggest that you could extend your voice in a certain way ?

That is, make a few phrases flow more, without empty spaces
... for example, at about 1:12 : "friends just can't be [sudden silence] found ...", I felt like I wanted to hear " can't beeee found"
or at about 2:26 : "when pain is all a [sudden silence] round ... well, you get it.

Oh, it's because you have to breathe sometimes ? So get over it !! B)

And your video is so well-produced that the visible earphones are a real distraction ... ditch them if possible.
Also forgo the tuner on your guitar headstock ... elegant !

Such fun to be a critic ! (rootin' for you)
Wish I could do even half of half as much !

Pierre

buddy

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:19 pm

willem wrote:
I think that was sensitve..
Thanks Willem, You know what a sensitive man I am.

Bud

tombo1230

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi Buddy,
firstly, Pierre has some great comments.

I am seeing a huge improvement in your dark and light shading, adds so much feeling to the song, just brilliant! Keep that going.

I think you're not breathing to your best advantage. I'm not sure if it's because you're fingerpicking and singing at the same time, I know how hard that is. As Pierre has rightly said you need to let some of the words stretch a bit, as in some places it's a little bit staccato and that could be caused by your breathing. Some of these lines need to be done on a lungfull of air. I would suggest you record the guitar part and sing to this as a backing track and try to stretch out some of those words without the burden of a guitar. Some bits to stretch and in doing so add flow to the melody are:
Liiiiiiiiiiiike aaaaaaaaa briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge ooooveeer trouuuuuuuubled waaaater...........All done with one breath, don't break down into syllables, it breaks the flow of the melody. You are looking to roll these words.

You have great tone and improved control in your vocal.

I hope you find these comments useful.

I only wish I had half of your singing ability. Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Tom N.

wiley

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 pm

BobR

Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Buddy,

I am in no position to critique so all I want to add is I enjoyed it. You have quite a nice video panning and such. Nice effect.

Nice to see you

Bob

dekotaj

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:48 am

Hey Buddy BRAVO!!!!

What a great song!!!! I think you can play and sing anything.So great job.

My only suggestion.The song was done on piano. When you listen to the song on piano the notes go on forever. So the best one can do when playing it on guitar, find the notes you can hold on to and make them lassssst.And mostly on the embellishment from one chord change to another. Just me hearing what I hear. BRAVO again.

Kev

auntlynnie

Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:35 am

Hey Bud,
I love covers of songs (which is what most of us are doing here), but what I really like about this is your interpretation of the song.
Sure, we all know the original and it great, but I very much like what you done with it . While you sometimes follow the original, you also go into new territory with the melody. I love that! Great work!
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Lynn

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic