SOUND CLOUD: Sharing a better sound

tombo1230

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Sorry Willey, I wasn't asking for an explanation of sampling and bit depth etc. I studied this in Uni and use it in my job.
No I just wondered what you meant when you said: I should say you are correct in saying soundcloud will have better audio quality simply because it has no video.

My reasoning was that the quality could be anything Soundcloud wanted it to be regardless of whether it used video or not originally. Same thing with Youtube. They can have the poorest picture they like and couple it with the best sound available if that is what they want to do. The sound and pictures don't have to be affecting the quality of each other. There will be a process takes place when downloading takes place. For want of a better phrase, the sound and or pictures will go to some kind of 'processing farm,' where it will be turned into whatever flavour of video and audio has been prescribed or macro'd by A.N. Other. Anyway I see now that you thought that MPeg processing might affect the sound. Question answered. Thanks. :)

Tom N.

tombo1230

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Here's the link to SoundCloud, compare the sound quality:

Tom, Wiley, I am actually using 32 Bit files, so I sure hope I'm getting some depth of sound here!!

This takes me back to my first statement which is: Only if through the chain the quality is maintained.
if any part of the chain is less than your highest quality (bit rate) then for instance, if 8 bits or 16 bits is used anywhere, then your 32 bit sampling is sampling an 8 or 16 bit sound signal. Which means it is not really of 32bit quality. The signal once processed at lower quality cannot then be uprezed and regain it's quality. A bit like taking a VHS signal and trying to make it HD, it doesn't work like that. As I said earlier the sound or pics is only as good as the harshest processing you put it through.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 am

Hi Willem, yes the sound is much better on SoundcCoud, I can't hear any difference to the original wave file I have on my desktop but there may well be some compression (most likely) just way less than YT.

Yes Tom, I understood your message, thanks for the break down. I am recording with 24 bit with the Tascam and Audition uses 32 bit so I know I can't be better than 24 bit when I export the mixdown wave file. SoundCloud seems to keep a good level of fidelity. I will certainly be using SoundCloud in the future. Anyone else on SC, we can hook up.

Thanks for listening folks!

EDIT: I'd like to make the point that we should always upload our videos to TG and YT as that's how the word spreads about TG and keeps TG in the spotlight.... which keeps TG alive and strong on the net gaining new members month to month. Linking to a SoundCloud audio would be an extra step for those interested in getting the full sound of a particular upload.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic