Busking Take Five

MarkM

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 am

Dan,

You have a beauty there!!! Well played sir. I always enjoy watching your posts. So HD lights. I'm actually in the process of getting some for my 714LTD. I usually use the Elixir Phosphor Bronze lights on that one and the mediums on the DN8. What are your thoughts? How do you think the 714 will respond as it doesn't have the new bracing pattern? Anyway thanks for sharing!!

MarkM

webtvdan

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:02 am

MarkM,

My last guitar was also a 614ce. Yet they play and sound very different. The previous one was eight years old and the new one is from Taylor’s custom shop with their newest electronics. Already determined I’ll use different strings on the new guitar, just don’t know which yet. The HD lights sounded better than the Martin FX (my previous favorites). Still have several more to try.

I’m looking forward to trying the D'Addario EJ16, they’re the #1 sold on Amazon and considered the best for acoustic guitars, way too bright on my last guitar.

I think the HD lights would bring out the bass on any guitar. You will have to determine if it’s a balanced sound on your guitar; don’t think I decided before switching to the Martin’s.

Dan

Lavallee

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Really enjoyed your performance Dan, not an easy one to play

Marc

tombo1230

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:36 am

Nice Dan, quite a jazzy feel to this little tune. You played it well.

Very nice guitar! B) :)

Tom N.

webtvdan

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:19 pm

I couldn’t find the D'Addario EJ16 purchased off Amazon so installed the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze lights ordered prior to their release from Sweetwater. Only place I found to preorder – just released new strings.

Wow – what a great sounding set of strings. I’m going to leave these on till needing replaced.

They stretched more like nylon strings and are difficult to tune. Very small sweet spot, recommend using harmonics – even with an electronic tuner.

The best I can describe them is a stereo bell, with beautiful ringing. Wished I had used them for my video.

Hard to believe the D’Addario will sound better. I’ll try them in a couple of weeks.

Dan

webtvdan

Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:08 pm

Is there a discussion here on strings? A search returned a gazillion posts.

Put the D'Addario EJ16 on yesterday, a very nice balanced set of strings, easy to tune.

The Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze lights sounded amazing for less than two weeks, always stretching and difficult to tune. I give them a half hearted thumbs up. Don’t put them on if you can’t tune with harmonics and plan on replacing often.

I’ll leave the D'Addario on until needing replaced. I can see why they are so popular. Don’t have the immediate wow of the Ernie Ball or bass of the Elixir.

The Elixir Hd lights will go back on next. Way more bass than the D’Addario. I never determined if they were balanced. Stay tuned.

Is there another discussion on strings I should post to? The Ernie Ball’s were just released – thought others would find this useful.

dekotaj

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Hey Dan.

Love the groove of the song.Darn nice job!

Bravo
Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic