QUESTION - a cover of the Moody Blues by Neverfoundthetime

schembre

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:16 am

Yes, I have to stick with the 12-string; I do an acoustic duo thing and because I have the better 12-string, I get 12-string duty when songs like Sister Golden Hair come up. Like you, I prefer to play with my fingers, so 12-string duty for me is like KP duty in the army. Anyway, I view it as a necessary evil ... like I said, you may be swaying my thoughts! If you ever see me playing Classical Gas on the 12-string, you can be sure it was your influence! ;-). Keep it up as well!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Bob, if you'dlike some 12 string inspiration, check this out...

BobR

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi Chris,

I finally got to see this and thought you did a terrific job. Nice setting too :)

Bob

jcrocket

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Chris, that was a great performance!

Jeff

TGNesh

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:00 am

That was fantastic Chris! Boy, you can strum, haha, (a bounce is likely no challenge for you), that was pretty fast :blink: :P . And I thought that your gorgeous vocals still shine through all around, no matter what! :)

Great job Chris, also really nice to see a video from you again!

Ness

tombo1230

Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:10 am

Nice job Chris. way too long since we heard/saw you perform. :)

Tom N.

auntlynnie

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Chris,
I enjoyed this so much. I have always liked the song, but never attempted it - the strumming just seems way too fast to me. Did you begin learning the strumming by going slowly and working up to faster and faster? It appeared effortless, yet I know it wasn't. The vocals were very good, too.
Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
Lynn

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks for tuning in Bob(R), Jeff, Tom, Ness and Lynn! Many thanks for the kind comments!

Its nice to record something again. I've been working on fast strums with this, Sandman and Venus, seeing if I can get up the sort of speed needed to make the song(s) more dynamic and fun to play. Yes Lynn, I did exactly as Neil shows in the lesson, slowing it right down and gradually picking up the speed. Works a treat if you are prepared to be patient in the beginning. It soon adds up to more speed. The final piece of the puzzle was realizing i had to attack it much more than I was doing in the first (unpublished) take, so much so that I almost forgot to give the singing what it needed until after about 30 seconds or so.
So, yes Vanessa, i did get a grip of the "bouncy thing" :-) in San Francisco (which has been bouncing around inside my head for 3 days now)!

Chris

sbutler

Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Holly Smokes buddy, you rocked that one. Ive wondered a time or two if I could ever keep up with the strumming on that song,but afraid to try. You knocked it over the fence.

Great job Chris.

dennisg

Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:51 am

Very few things inspire me to hop into the forum these days, but I have to say this was just terrific. There's always room in my life for more Moodies, and I can always count on you to do an excellent job with them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic