Busking Raining on the Rock - John Williamson

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Here is Raining on the Rock by John Williamson. I'm sure all our Aussie friends will recognise it (hopefully!). I've always liked this song and have wanted to get it done but the little run which occurs a total of 6 times is essential and it was eluding me until I found a tab which had the run with one mistake in it but it was easy for me to fix the mistake myself and surprisingly, I could even do the run quite quickly... which I put down to all the work I've been putting into doing fast double-strums (like in Question) with a pick these last few months. Its in Drop D and I am not using a capo on the first fret as John does as I wanted to let the wonderful deep tones of the BSG come out to play!
Its take 2 and my fingers did get a bit numb on the rundown a couple of times but I could probably spend all day trying to get a perfect take, so I prefer to post, as is. Oh, and I am in A=432 Hz tuning as I have been now for about 6 months.

Hope you like it!

Welcome to 2015
Chris

daryl

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Nice Chris. I don't know the song at all. Love the dropped-D sound with your BSG!

sandysue

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:57 pm

That was great Chris. You handled that run really nicely. I liked the sound of the double strum. You have a nice voice, and I love the sound of your new guitar. :)

Sandy

sandysue

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:57 pm

That was great Chris. You handled that run really nicely. I liked the sound of the double strum. You have a nice voice, and I love the sound of your new guitar. :)

Sandy

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Happy New Year mate, nicely done, all you need is Uluru in the background and a few Aborigines playing their Didgeridoos.

Chas

willem

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:13 pm

I thought which song is that? So up to YT and watched 2x JW for sinkin in,, also listen to you 2x and the more I hear it the more I like it or get used to it.

Great runs! Rhytm and singin,

Were you taping your feets also 'cos I could not hear it... :laugh: B)

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:24 pm

Many thanks for tuning in Daryl, Sandy, Chas and Willem!

I'll leave a link below to the original, Daryl.

Thanks that you like my voice Sandy!

I could have used a nice bush hat with corks hanging off it Chas :laugh:

No foot tapping Willem, I simply cannot keep it up through the song! I have no idea why my co-ordination does not work so well on foot-tapping, otherwise its no problem.

wrench

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:02 pm

I am not familiar with Mr. Williamson, but he certainly establishes himself to me as a competent artist in his version of this song. But, as is so often the case with your pieces, I prefer yours to the original. Your voice simply has some uncommon quality.

It nearly isn't fair pairing your voice with that of the BSG. They are a great combination.

Well done, and I enjoyed it a great deal. It's great to hear you again.

But now I wonder what capo 1 @ A=432 sounds like..............

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Funny you should mention that Dan, here's it again with capo and still A=432 Hz. Its about -35 cents compared to A440 Hz tuning so not quite a half step down. Putting the capo on messed up the rundown even more as the frets were now 1 further up, so of course, it broke down half way through.... urgggh! :blush: :cheer:

And many thanks for your kind comments Dan, especially about the voice, that's a nice comment!
Chris

wrench wrote:
I am not familiar with Mr. Williamson, but he certainly establishes himself to me as a competent artist in his version of this song. But, as is so often the case with your pieces, I prefer yours to the original. Your voice simply has some uncommon quality.

It nearly isn't fair pairing your voice with that of the BSG. They are a great combination.

Well done, and I enjoyed it a great deal. It's great to hear you again.

But now I wonder what capo 1 @ A=432 sounds like..............

BobR

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi Chris,

I am not familiar with the song either, but I really enjoyed your playing and singing. :)

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic