Busking Raining on the Rock - John Williamson

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Many thanks Bob, you should check John Williamson out, got some nice tunes and all on authentic Aussie themes.
Chris

wrench

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks Chris for going to the trouble of recording the capo version. And I do prefer the capo version. That won't get out of my head for a few days. This is one of those songs that I like more with each listen.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

michelew

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:13 pm

Hey Chris,

Ahhhh a Swiss/Englishman singing about spinefex, heat, red dirt and Aboringinal people. It must feel a little strange given its snowing where you are. In addition to Uluru, I think you need a peg on your nose, it'll make you sound a little more like John. :)

You've got that BSG all fired up there. It's got a big complex voice. I'd love to be in the same room as you so I can really hear it.

Great to see you posting Chris, and a non-Moodies song no less.

I think my favourite (or at least the best know song) of John's is "Give Me a Home Amongst the Gum Trees". Like Waltzing Matilda it's a bit of an Aussie anthem. :)

Nice one Chris!

Shel

jayswett

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:44 am

It was nice to wake up this morning to videos from both you and Michele. I don't know this song but certainly enjoyed the performance and seeing your (new?) guitar in action. I was again reminded that I don't fully understand the hz tuning you mentioned, which will prompt me to go back and find that thread posted months ago.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks for tuning in Jay. Yes, that's my new BSG 27F Rosewood. Standard tuning is set at A=440Hz. But the standard tuning used to be A=432 Hz pre 1952. If you look up cymatics (patterns produced by sound frequencies, the A432Hz tuning produce more harmonic patterns and indicate that the sound is therefore more harmonic in a natural sense. You can use your tuner to tune to A=432Hz as your standard reference point. Its about 35cents lower, in effect.

Lavallee

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:44 am

Happy New Year Chris, very nice playing with your BSG, and the run downs are coming smoothly Thanks for the clarification about the tuning. It seems to suit better your vocal range.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:46 am

Hi Marc, thanks for tuning in! Happy 2015! I hear you guys hardly have any snow, what up?

On the tuning: I have adjusted my Guitar Tool Kit tuner app on my iPhone so that the reference frequency is now A=432 hz instead of the standard A=440 Hz. So that means when I tune my BSG, all my strings are slightly lower in pitch, abuot -35 cents or so. This pitch was widely used as the standard reference pitch for tuning instruments to pre 1953. It was changed against the will of many musicians.

I use it because I suspect it is a more healthy level of vibration and as we play our guitars we produce a sphere of sound with us smack in the middle of it. I like to think I'm enveloped in a better vibration this way. Another advantage is, its a lower pitch so it makes some songs easier to sing. Disadvantage is, I can't play along with recordings as I'll be off pitch and if I play with someone else, one of us will have to re-tune. So far, I'm happy with A=432 Hz.

The most convincing fact for me to use A=432 Hz is the more perfect patterns produced in cymatic experiments:

Check out: http://www.collective-evolution.com/201 ... -to-432hz/

Some more info below:

A=432 Hz, known as Verdi's 'A' is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature. According to Brain T. Collins, a musician and researcher, the standard pitch (A=440 Hz) does not harmonize on any level that corresponds to cosmic movement, rhythm, or natural vibration. The greatest musicians, such as Mozart and Verdi, based their music on the natural vibration of A=432. It's true that it is only 8 vibrations per second different from the standard tuning, but this small difference seems to be remarkable to our human consciousness.

There's a growing musical and metaphysical movement for recovering optimal integrity in the music industry and spirituality through the 432Hz tuning. In April 2008 Dutch journalist Richard Huisken founded the 'back to 432 Hz' committee, claiming that this original tuning was used in ancient cultures and is found on antique instruments like the Stradivarius violin.

The healing benefits
According to Richard Huisken, music tuned to 432 Hz is softer and brighter, giving greater clarity and is easier on the ears.
Many people experience more meditative and relaxing states of body and mind when listening to such music. The natural musical pitch of the universe gives a more harmonic and pleasant sound than 440 Hz.
432 Hz seems to work at the heart chakra, "the feeling", and therefore could have a good influence on the spiritual development of the listener. Some people who are not able to distinguish the 8hz difference claim they can feel the music warmer due to the longer wavelength.

Because 432 Hz gives a greater clarity than 440 Hz, there's less need to play it as loud as 440 Hz. This means less hearing damage, as long as you put the volume not too high. Furthermore there's also less noise pressure. Researchers and musicians, such as Coreen Morsink (pianist and music teacher), report that they feel calmer, happier and more relaxed when playing music at 432Hz.

Music based on this natural tone is more transparent, more marked, gives an obvious musical picture and the overtones and undertones moves more freely. Music based on 440 Hz represents stuffed emotions and blocked energy. By lowering the pitch by just 8 Hz, you became more flexible and spontaneous.

The 432 Hz tuning releases your energy and takes you into a beautiful state, where relaxation is natural.
Where does it come from? According to Ananda Bosman, international researcher and musician, archaic Egyptian instruments that have been unearthed are largely tuned to A=432Hz. Ancient Greeks tuned their instruments predominantly to 432Hz. Within the archaic Greek Eleusinian Mysteries, Orpheus is the god of music, death and rebirth, and was the keeper of the Ambrosia and the music of transformation. His instruments were tuned at 432Hz

dekotaj

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:55 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Here is Raining on the Rock by John Williamson. I'm sure all our Aussie friends will recognise it (hopefully!). Its in Drop D and I am not using a capo on the first fret as John does as I wanted to let the wonderful deep tones of the BSG come out to play!
Its take 2 and my fingers did get a bit numb on the rundown a couple of times but I could probably spend all day trying to get a perfect take, so I prefer to post, as is. Oh, and I am in A=432 Hz tuning as I have been now for about 6 months.

Hope you like it!

Welcome to 2015
Chris

Hey Bro.
Like always,could watch you play and sing all day.Thanks for bring in the New Year with a song.Darn good way of starting it out.
Great sound your getting out of that good looking guitar.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! To you and miss Ale.

BRAVO!!!! BROTHER.
Kev

Craig

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Chris,

Very nicely done. It sounds like you have those runs down pretty good to me. I'm glad that you are getting so much joy out of your guitar.

Happy New Year,

Craig

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks Craig, nice to her from you again. I've kept going on the runs and now its much more fluent and the notes are clearer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic