Video for review - Nick Drake - Things Behind the Sun by michelew

michelew

Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:15 am

Thanks everyone! I'm SO glad you enjoyed it. It's an interesting and challenging piece and I really LOVE the syncopatation.

Chris - Yep! Chocolate is definitely in order when singing and listening to Nick Drake. I really enjoy two of his three albums but it is depressing stuff mostly. I've been finding myself gravitating toward nylon strings. I'm still looking for a hybrid too. Thanks for watching.

Jay - thanks! I need to return to a few Nick Drake lessons too. But, I'm mostly attracted to the fingerpicking ones. I think a video a month is a great goal. Go for it! I've just posted another video making three in five days, so I may just manage it. :) unless of course you mean you only want to seeeee a video a month. :P I'm looking forward to seeing your next post.

Daryl - I'm glad you liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing your first upload for 2015. Don't forget that Neil is planning to look at non-target member posts too. I'm sensing..... TE. :) though... ;)

Marc - thanks! I'm holidaying at home this year. It's great to have the time to play and record. I know that will significantly reduce once I start working again. I hope you're doing well and playing up a storm.

Dean - thanks! I started this song a year ago. I've played it a fair bit since then. Getting it up to speed has been the biggest challenge. It's still a tad slow as you know. Are you still playing it? I put up Fruit Tree as a lesson recommendation if you're interested in supporting that. It may be a bridge too far for me, but it's a song that really draws me in too.

Sandy - I'm glad you liked it. It is an interesting song, very moody. IMovie allows you to place a picture in picture. It's great for tracks like this when you want to play the guitar and then sing over the top of the track. It means you can concentrate on your playing without getting distracted by words and phrasing and a million singing related things. It's also good for songs where the singing is challenging. I may record That Year by Brandi Carlile. She sings so passionately that I wouldn't be able to come close to doing the singing justice if I played at the same time. Give it a go.

Jean - thanks. Definitely give this song a try. I play it a fair bit without singing it and I never get bored of it as an instrumental because there is so much happening in it. In fact, besides singing in the shower, I really only started singing it when I tryed to record it. If you're not singing it, you can really play around with variations. That would be great fun. Go for it!

Bob - thanks and you're welcome. Got any projects on the boil?

Willem - thanks for checking it out. Are you playing this now? Yeh I would love it be a free form fingerpicker. I'll keep pickin'. You'll be happy to know that I obeyed you'rinstructions and kept sweating today too. Though a storm is coming through so it's cooling down nicely now. Thanks.

Thanks for all your support everyone.

Shel

dtaylor

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:27 am

I haven't played it since I uploaded a video. I'd like to go back and try it with the vocal. I'm guessing it ups the ante quite a bit though.
Once again, nice job.

sandysue

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:20 pm

hi Michele

I didn't realize that was iMovie. Im gonna try to do that myself with a song or two. I had a tough time learning to sing with Shotgun Down The Avalanche, because it has some really fast fingerpicking and somewhat tricky moves.

I've spent weeks now trying to perfect Rhianon. Neil just taught me how to strum with the singing part, while also playing the licks and fancier fingerpicking as needed. It's been a big challenge for me to try and coordinate all of it. I'm still in the struggling phase.

thanks for posting your music. It's fun to share.

Sandy

TGNesh

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:14 am

That was just awesome Shel!!!! :cheer:

Proud of you for getting it down as you did. Nick Drake certainly has great and very interesting songs to play and I can imagine that it's a challenge to sing it all together.

Very well done my friend and now I'm off to your 3rd upload the past week, gosh you've been 'working' hard! :blink: :P

Ness

michelew

Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:46 am

Dean - Thanks again. I'd love to see how it sounds now. Good luck with the singing.

Sandy - give it a go. It's not hard. Of course it doesn't help when you're performing live by yourself, so learning to simplify it enough to sing it too is a great approach. It's something I need to incorporate more.

Nessa - "awesome" - :) well that put a big smile on my face to be sure. Thanks! :kiss:

Shel

tombo1230

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:17 am

Sorry I'm late to the party.

Sweet sound from your guitar, loved it! Great fingerpicking technique, sounded really nice in my headphones. :) Good job vocally and all around. :)

Tom N.

michelew

Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks Tom, I'm really glad you liked it.

It's a beautiful guitar. I think the live sound is even better than I'm capturing at the moment. I need to improve my recording setup. I don't think it's actually doing it justice. but I'm glad it still sounds good at your end.

Thanks

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic