Video for review - Nick Drake - Things Behind the Sun by michelew

michelew

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:33 am

I'm having trouble with the uploaders. I tried to upload this to student reviews. But I'm having technical issues. So while I get those resolved, I thought I'd upload it here. I also thought my non-target buddies might like a peek. :)

This is Nick Drake's - Things Behind The Sun. It's one of Neil's lessons.

It was 34oC (93oF) here today and I literally had sweat pouring off me. I was also shaking so hard that my fingers were missing the strings. Seriously, this is a classic "I can play it much better when I'm relaxed" dealio. Unfortunate, once in front of the camera, I found that my right hand tensed up and it affected my timing (which is a little off in placed) and ... Blah, blah, blah (the solo is the most affected). But...this is the best I'm going to do for the moment in front of the camera.

I also know I need to work more on dynamics and other expressions like retardo, but... too nervous. I absolutely couldn't sing it at the same time. In fact, I'm not sure I'll be able to ever.

This is a great lesson and really nice to play and work on. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if you're a Nick Drake fan.

I hope you enjoy it.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:27 am

Hey Shel, you are having a whale of a time with that classical guitar of yours! Sounds lovely, really nice picking again. Great stuff!
I think you may need chocolate after singing Nick Drake, I would! :laugh:

jayswett

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:37 am

I think you are much too critical of yourself. I thought that was great, and tricky, and interesting all at the same time. I have not looked at that lesson as every I remain fixated on Road whenever I think about Nick Drake. Also, Pink Moon is such a lovely song. Anyway, great job on this. Do you think it would be too much for us to commit to uploading one video per month during 2015?

daryl

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:44 am

Yes. Thank you for the peek. I wouldn't have been able to see it otherwise. I don't know Nick Drake's songs but I thought you did a really good job playing what looks like a difficult picking pattern. And I can't imagine trying to sing while playing that either. Thanks!

Lavallee

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:53 am

Hi Shel, I am not familiar with the song but I can surely appreciate the challenging finger picking and the weird chords that look quite fluid from my end.

You are kicking off the new year with energy

Marc

dtaylor

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:39 am

Well done Michele, I can tell you've put a lot of time and effort into this. I'm sure Neil can give you a few pointers here and there but it sounded great to me.

sandysue

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:24 am

That was great Michele, I love how you separated the singing and the guitar playing. Very interesting music. It's really fun to see you performing the music that you've learned. Hope you post some more.

Sandy

fjeanmur

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:37 pm

Wow, Michele!

Really nice work on that. I haven't worked on any Nick Drake yet, but maybe this will inspire me to give one a go. I love the complicated finger picking, but I always think that I'll get bored playing something that is meant to be sung.

I just loved seeing your other guitars in the background--and I'm so jealous seeing you in a tank top as I'm watching the snow come down!

Jean

BobR

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi Michele,
I thoroughly enjoyed that. :) I am not familiar with the song but you seemed very comfortable with it. Thanks for the peek

Bob

willem

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:18 pm

Sweat (sweet),, can't say much,, watched Neil again on his halfspeed playing and capo on four,, I do know if you stay on playing such pickin your gonna be very good and maybe free of everything ( just do what you like).

I really love the sounds from Nick Drake, very special.

All that diffrent pickin makes it hard to sing at the same time, maybe you can find some pointers,

Enjoyed it much,, keep sweating Michele

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic