Looking for help on the strum to NEW HORIZONS

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks for all the really quick responses folks! That's just great to be able to post a vexing question, go out have a nice night out and come back with answers and even a video from Dan and a nice slow down of the brpbrpbrpbrp video from Willem! Great! Thanks so much!

Thanks Sandy, it is a lovely song and I like to play this one a lot.

Thanks Marc, I see what you mean. Justin has such a loose and flowing strum, it seems such a light touch, he really has the most relaxed hand I have ever seen. Maybe I can get that amplitude but I am really going to have to loosen up a lot, as Daryl so rightly suggests!

Good points Daryl, thanks! I am using the chords Brpbrpbrpbrp worked out and they sound correct. Justin may be using another fingering before and he goes for the thumb wrap-around but I think my sound is right. I'll work on the "reserve/demure gentleman" bit and try to let my hair down a bit :laugh:

Thanks a lot for the video slow down Willem. I see what you mean. Maybe when I put all the suggestions together it might clic!
One of the problems I have is that I don't know what I am actually doing (I'm not counting the DDU etc)... I will have to slow my own video down to work it out!! :ohmy:

Thanks again for the video Dan, great stuff... and nice Takamine! :)

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Oh wow, brilliant Neil, that absolutely nails it. Thanks so much! I am so glad I posted my question because it really was bugging me to be so close but still so (obviously) far away from the answer. When I started out, I found myself counting 123, 123 then getting lost. So I was on the right track from the beginning but just couldn't find the box this belong in although I suspected there would be some dividing over 2 bars to do to get it right. Its also clearer now that its not such an obvious rhythm to get. Many thanks Neil and everyone for responding! Now some sleep and tomorrow I will try it out.

:) A very happy Chris

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Just tried it out, nailed it! what a difference it makes to my confidence in how I play it, knowing exactly what I should be doing!
I have spent so much time winging it on so many songs in the past, this is real revelation. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Really happy!

dekotaj

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:23 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Chris,

Justin is using an 8-beat pattern broken up into 2 groups of three beats and 1 group of 2 beats. 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2, accenting 1 each time. The hammer on follows the second beat 1.

Neil

Hey Chris.

I'm glad Neil came through for you.I was looking for sheet music.I was thinking that it might not be in 4/4 timing.I was hearing accent beats on 1 & 3 & 5 thinking it my be in 6/8 timing.But I could count it out in 6/8.But could not find sheet music for this song. Now it makes sense.

Good luck with it.Sound good so far.
Kev

willem

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:17 am

dekotaj wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Hi Chris,

Justin is using an 8-beat pattern broken up into 2 groups of three beats and 1 group of 2 beats. 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2, accenting 1 each time. The hammer on follows the second beat 1.

Neil

Hey Chris.

I'm glad Neil came through for you.I was looking for sheet music.I was thinking that it might not be in 4/4 timing.I was hearing accent beats on 1 & 3 & 5 thinking it my be in 6/8 timing.But I could count it out in 6/8.But could not find sheet music for this song. Now it makes sense.

Kev
Hi Chris, Neil, Kevin,, I could not tell the downs and ups,, most succes I had with counting the 8 beats but was confused 'cos I did feel the wals too,, I will try writing it down in Gpro and put a picture here for confirmation if I understood it well,, I understand its a wals feel strum in 4/4..

I like learning

Willem

PS,, so Dan is absolute right with that hammer on after beat 7..

willem

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:06 am

willem wrote:
dekotaj wrote:
TGNeil wrote:
Hi Chris,

Neil

Hey Chris.

Kev
Hi Chris, Neil, Kevin,, I could not tell the downs and ups,, most succes I had with counting the 8 beats but was confused 'cos I did feel the wals too,, I will try writing it down in Gpro and put a picture here for confirmation if I understood it well,, I understand its a wals feel strum in 4/4..

I like learning

Willem

PS,, so Dan is absolute right with that hammer on after beat 7..
This is the way I understood Neil (maybe an accent to much?)

Willem

dekotaj

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:04 am

Bravo!! Willem
You do like learning.Good job on this one.Were did you find the sheet music?? I see it's in standard tuning??

Thanks Kev

willem

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:35 am

dekotaj wrote:
Bravo!! Willem
You do like learning.Good job on this one.Were did you find the sheet music?? I see it's in standard tuning??

Thanks Kev
Okay Kevin,, sheetmusic is not to find on the net,, if you want the chords and the tuning you must ask Chris.

I just wrote down what Neil explained,, its alright then?

Ps, you can find moody bleus chord sheets,, also one in D, capo 3,, easy chords

wrench

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:19 am

Hi Chris,

Now that Neil sorted out that out, I am really looking forward to the new version. There will be a new version, won't there?

Dan

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:24 pm

I guess I feel obliged to video my progress after getting such a great response from everyone including Neil! :) Watch this space...

Here's the pdf from Youtuber BrpBrpBrpBrp which I used to learn the song, for anyone interested:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic