Busking Progress video - Lovesong - stumbling through

michelew

Sun May 24, 2015 8:45 am

I must be crazy! But...Well Ness and I were talking and the subject of progress videos came up. Well... I have to admit that I generally don't post things until I have been working on them for quite some time and I feel like I've gotten most of it down.

Here I definitely don't and in front of the camera it falls apart more of course. But Ness convinced me that posting early is a good thing to help resolve issues before they are engrained. SO here I'm warts and all.

The runs and the Dm landing seems to get me most at the moment. Yes I'm practicing sections. This video is just playing against the GPro file. This is the second take. I'm playing it at 90%, though it sounds much slower.... The timing is definitely crap in parts.

Don't expect smiles. There are none.

As painful as this was to watch, it did tell me some of the things I need to focus on.

So bring in you comments. And let's see your progress videos.

I think I've stopped shaking... :) Oh I couldn't remember where the Student review uploader was..... I guess it's been too long

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

sandysue

Sun May 24, 2015 10:07 am

Hi Michele

I loved it. I really like the percussive strum. It sounds great. I've found that my timing gets a lot smoother as I get the song really memorized in my mind, so that I'm not having to think about what to play or sing each moment as I go along. Is there a vocal part that you are going to include at some point. Keep us updated. :)

Sandy

dtaylor

Sun May 24, 2015 10:55 am

Got to say I love the sound of your guitar on this one, your percussive strumming sounds very accomplished. It sounds not far off 'open mic' quality :)

wrench

Sun May 24, 2015 12:03 pm

As I was reading your post, I was thinking that is a great idea, posting a progress video. Then I watched your video. Then I put the camera away. Then I smashed my guitar. Well, I'm exaggerating a little.

But I agree with all of Dean's comments. You're close enough that it's clear you will master the piece very soon. I have two suggestions that have been helping me recently. I've always had trouble playing songs to the metronome, so I stopped trying to play the left hand to the metronome, and I only drill with the right hand for ten minutes or so. Then I play the song to 'nome, and they link up much better. The other thing I suggest is practice at a much, much slower tempo. Really concentrate on executing the fingerings. I'm finding recently that less is more and slower is faster. That is to say, practicing the songs slower gets them show-ready faster.

I am anxious to see the final video. Everything is working for you on this one, and it's beautiful.

willem

Sun May 24, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi sweet lady,, first I was thinking how that guitar part was going and when I listen to your progress video I thought "yes" I did remember it,, you're close and know what to do with the stumbling parts,, over, over over over , well I don't gonna write that 1000 times.

Keep practicing and lets wait for the master review.

B)

Music Junkie

Sun May 24, 2015 12:32 pm

michelew wrote:
SO here I'm warts and all.
Them's some damn fine warts, young lady. ;)

I agree that the guitar sounds wonderful. I think it might have something to do with the person that is playing it. Your finger work and percussion are enviable. A little more time is all you need, and you will have it down and have the feeling in it. Great work!

Jason

TGNesh

Sun May 24, 2015 3:14 pm

:cheer: :) :cheer: Awesome job Shel, I'll be back! ;)

Ness

jcrocket

Mon May 25, 2015 1:44 am

Michele -

Thanks for posting your progress video. I’m with everyone else here, this sounds really good.

I guess this is a prime example of how we’re all our own harshest critics. While I understand and applaud the high standards you have set for yourself, please realize that watching and listening to this is far from painful for the rest of us. I don’t think it will be long before you’re smiling with the rest of us about your progress with this song.

Jeff

rapsidy

Mon May 25, 2015 4:21 am

Was it just me or were others trying to work out who was playing in the background :) Hey michelle was wondering when you were going to get to the stumbling part lol. its amazing to see how well you play after been absent for sometime the hard work has paid off. Well done

crieniecat

Mon May 25, 2015 6:00 am

Hi Shel,

Glad you decided to go for it and posted the video! I really liked it and look forward to the next progress vid.
Maybe you forgot to smile, still you brought out a big one on my face (from ear to ear), and no need to say but you've put already a lot of Love in this song :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic