Busking Simon & Garfunkel

dennisg

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:33 pm

I was flipping through TV channels recently and came across the movie Garden State, a film with a terrific soundtrack. One of those songs, surprisingly, was this one from Simon & Garfunkel. I think it's probably one of the easiest Paul Simon songs to play on the guitar, whether you want to just strum it like a campfire song or add a few doodads of your own.

"The Only Living Boy in New York" was written for Art Garfunkel who'd just been cast in the movie Catch-22 and was about to leave to go shoot the film. Apparently, Paul was feeling a bit lonely and abandoned ... and like the only living boy in New York. The "Tom" of the song is Art's name from the days when S&G went by the name Tom & Jerry.

I couldn't get the busking uploader to work, so here's a link to the song on YouTube.

Music Junkie

Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Dennis:

What a nice surprise to see a video from you again. I was unfamiliar with that tune, but I really liked what I heard. The playing was very smooth, and the embellishments were a great addition. The vocals seemed to be quite comfortable for you as well. What guitar were you playing there?

Great to see you again. I hope things are going well up north. Have you heard from Suzie?

Jason

daryl

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Smooth. Nice to see you again Dennis.

willem

Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:33 pm

Beautifull Dennis.

B)

michelew

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Den,

Gosh it's good to see you back posting. Ahhhh is Mr Showman back I wonder :)

I REALLY enjoyed this and the emotion you instilled into it; lonely,a bit heart-broken, mournful. You've moved me as you always seem to do. I really liked your singing on this. I really like the way you find the right level of simple accompaniment and nice embellishment to keep it interesting. The space in parts, like just going back and forth between the prominent bass notes, added to the lonely landscape you were painting. Beautiful.

Your guitar sounded lovely.

What a nice surprise. Thanks for enhancing my morning.

I love your work. I hope you drop in more often. You're one of the people in my life that continues to inspire and motive me to keep playing. One day, I'd like to be able to get the same level of feeling into my playing and singing as you do :kiss: :kiss:

Shel

jayswett

Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:40 pm

I agree. Lovely song, and a great performance.

jcrocket

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Wow Dennis, very nice. Really like everything about this rendition. Thanks for the background info on the song as well.

Jeff

BobR

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:24 am

Hi Dennis,

Nice to see and hear you again :) . Very nicely played and sung.

Bob

dennisg

Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:48 am

Jason: The guitar is a Goodall grand concert, which I recently bought used from a Goodall collector. I'd been lusting for a Goodall for some time, but could never pull the trigger due to the cost. Buying used allowed me to get the guitar I wanted, in pristine condition, for half price. You asked about Sue. She now lives in Seattle, and I see her occasionally. She's a full-time college student now, so she's usually immersed in her studies.

Daryl: Thanks for the comment. I'd love to know how you were able to embed my YouTube video.

Willem: I appreciate it.

Michele: I love your comment so much ... and your continued support. I'm happy you always seem to find something to like in my videos.

Jay: So nice to hear from you. Glad you're still playing. I always admired you skill and dedication.

Jeff: The song is from S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water album, what I consider to be one of the finest albums of all time. This is definitely one of the lesser-known songs. Thanks for your nice comment.

Bob: Thanks. Not sure why, after two years of TG inactivity, I decided to post a video, but there it is.

Craig

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:23 pm

What a way to start the first day of my summer vacation!

That was awesome Dennis! The guitar sounds great! Your hammer-ons and picking are very clean. Vocals were right in your comfort zone....

Do you have a new "music room"?

I've definitely missed you around here. Great to see you again,

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic