Busking The Decemberists

dennisg

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:48 pm

I was driving around Seattle a couple of weeks ago, listening to Radio Paradise in my car, when this Decemberists' song came on. I was hearing it for the first time, and yet there was something so compelling about it, I actually pulled over to the side of the road so I could focus on the song.

It's a pretty simple Appalachian-style tune done in a modern style. Colin Meloy of the Decemberists finger picks it, but after playing it that way for a day or so, I tried it with a flat pick which, as it turns out, I greatly prefer because it adds some drive and authenticity to the tune. Anyway, you can decide for yourself which you prefer.

Here it is ... my monthly contribution: Carolina Low.

wrsomers

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Hey Dennis, that was really great. I like your steady base lines. I would make one suggestion regarding your amp settings. I think you'd get a better sound if you lowered the midrange. Just a thought. Great post. I like your Joe Cocker at Woodstock poster.

Bill

TGNesh

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:39 pm

I like your plan, a monthly contribution! :cheer:

Great song choice too, love the song and the album and the Decemberists! :laugh: (saw them in concert last February, which was totally awesome!!)

Well done Den, great flat picking!

Ness

dtaylor

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:42 pm

You're killing it Den, wonderful performance!

willem

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:11 pm

I like your whole performence, i like all you are playing and singin includo melody singin (=singin the same notes you flat pick on the strings,, great sound too,

Wow

B)

Willem

BobR

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Hi Dennis, that was a cool tune and I really enjoyed your take on it.
Thanks for busking :)

Bob

jayswett

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Yeah. Loved it. Off now to see the other guy's version. I suspect that I will prefer yours.
Jay

dekotaj

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:52 pm

Bravo!!

Hey Dennis. Enjoyed the flat picking.I sure don't no how you hold on to it with that much sticking out.Why to pound out the ending.I all so like the flat pick and the pluck with the fingers at the very end.BRAVO again Sir.I will keep a eye out for next month contribution.

Kevin

Lavallee

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Another fun video Dennis, I watched the finger picking video from the Decembrist and your version is way more fun. I am sure that you will have a hit at your next open mic. I would like to see you perform in one of those. I know you can be a great entertainer as I saw you as a master of ceremony and your did a killing.

Good to see you being more active again on the site.

Marc

michelew

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:43 am

Hey Den! Loving the monthly video.

I like the way you've changed the mood of this song with the energy and driving picking and strumming. It really suits you too.

Your guitar is sounding really good. The hard picking and strumming just makes it ring more. Cool.

Keep them coming.

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic