Busking Gordon Lightfoot If You Could Read My Mind Revisited

wrsomers

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:08 pm

After Neil's review of my first take of this song, I "went back to the drawing board" and tried again. I incorporated Neil's suggestions. Although they are subtle, I think they make a big difference. Anyway, I would like to take this opportunity to say that TG is the best thing that has happened for my guitar playing since I began over 40 years ago. I love the lessons, forums, student reviews, and the chance to get first hand feedback from Neil and the other Target members. Thanks Neil and everyone here at TG.

Bill

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:04 pm

Really nice Bill. It all seems so much smoother than your original post. So glad you're here. Thanks for the update.

Lavallee

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Bill, Very smooth playing and singing.

Good post

Marc

familyman4

Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:57 pm

Bill,

I guess if you "re-learned" the song after 40 years of playing it a different way, one can say that you can indeed "teach an old dog new tricks" :laugh:

No slam intended because I completely understand how hard it is to scrap the way you learned a song early on and start over. Great job! I enjoyed your first version & this second one is really special!

Thank you for posting.

Bart

wrsomers

Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:09 am

Thanks Bart,
This old dog still has a few tricks left. :laugh: It was hard work to redo this one and I was happy with the results. Neil is a great teacher. I tried uploading this to Student Review but somehow it got messed up and won't play. Anyway, thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Daryl and Marc,
Thanks for your praise.

Bill

willem

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:46 am

I think you added Neils advice, you added a sort of instrumental?

I heard also two times more dynamic playing ( cresendo to decresendo), can you tell how you did that
Playing wise or is it just picking the string stronger and then again softer, I can imagine its easy speeding up also (you did'nt speed up to my hears).

Such a great song and you do it justice so to say.

Willem

wrsomers

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks Willem,
I tried very hard to maintain the tempo. As far as crescendo and decrescendo, I started softer, then increased vocal volume and did 3 things with the guitar: 1-hit strings harder, 2-use more strings (I added the 1st string to the picking pattern) 3- used double bass in the pattern. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

Bill

willem

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:54 pm

I can see this one Neil, if it helps would you remove this post of my also

Thanks

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic