Busking Jim Croce Photographs and Memories

BobR

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi Bill,

Great playing (and singing)on a great song.

Thanks

B ob

tombo1230

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:43 am

Great job!! I am learning Croce songs at the moment myself, loved this.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:02 am

That was really good Bill. You have excellent sound quality from the guitar and your voice, I guess that's due to your mic, looks like a nice one! You sing these songs really well and your voice is one I can listen too a lot. As for recording in a pro studio, its all about repeating and repeating even for the pros.

crieniecat

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:28 am

Nice!!
I'd like to request " Time in a Bottle" one of my all time favorites. Melancholic song but so very well written.

Thanks
Corina

wrsomers

Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks Bob, Tom, Chris and Corina. Chris, my mic is a Samson C03U. Only $100 plus another $20 for the shock mount. I'm pleased with it and am still learning to get good sounds from it. The studio was using mics that were in the thousands. You could really hear the difference. The studio engineer had 2 mics on my guitar and one on my voice. My guitar (a vintage D28) sounded awesome. Corina, I'm working on a different Croce tune right how but I'll give"Time In A Bottle" a try soon. Thanks for all your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:02 am

I have to say Bill, you are getting great sound through your reasonably priced mic. Yeah the studio mics are something else! Love the sound that vintage D28 gives you, you have looked after it! I am actually using Bob Dylan's favourite stage mic
(a Sennheiser MD 421 II) that came out of a US radio studio for my voice when I play through my Roland amp. I am very happy with the sound I am now getting through the Sony HDR MV1 camera with its stereo mics.

wrsomers

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:28 am

Chris,
I looked into new video cameras but decided to stay with my current one, just a Canon PowerShot still/video combo. The Samson mic is a USB Mic that plugs into my computer. It came with Sonar LE Cakewalk, a digital recording program. So I shoot the video with the camera and record the audio on the computer. Then I add compression, EQ, and a little reverb. After that I import the two files into Windows Movie Maker, mute the audio from the camera, then sync the two. After I edit out me turning the camera on and off, I'm done. Not as portable a system as yours but I'm satisfied with the results. I'm looking forward to another post from you that's done earlier in the day when you're not worried about waking the neighbors.

dekotaj

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:13 pm

wrsomers wrote:
Thanks Kevin! It is my pleasure. Last night I had a real session in a professional studio. What an education. It is somewhat intimidating and I will have to go back and do it again; this time hopefully without so many mistakes (re-takes).

Bill
Yes sir.That dose sound like a heck of a lot of fun, professional studio.
When you get back there make sure you share it here with us all.

Kev
PS I have the solo part to Photographs and Memories if you would like I can PM you.Best of luck with your playing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic