Busking Marvin Gaye I heard it through grapevine

Lavallee

Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:53 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I thought I should post this here as well to know if I can get more help on the issue below.

I wish to post this video to get help mainly on the solo that no matter how many times I have tried it, it comes weak. I tried slow , very slow, normal , many hundreds of times, still can' t get it. Anything else you see that needs improvement, please shoot.

I got a new guitar .It is a Taylor 210ce DLX, the entry level model. I have found my APX 900 body to be a little thin compare to this dreadnut.

I am using a karaoke backtrack from which I kept, the voice, the drum track, the voice, the horns and the tambourine. I removed the bass, the organ and the backvoices

Thank you for viewing

Marc

wrsomers

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Marc,
That was GREAT!! I loved your steady rhythm and the percussive right hand. I'm sorry but I don't think I could do the solo any better. I might suggest you use some bends. Thanks for posting this. You should try some singing, we all can't sound like James Taylor. I've always been self conscious about my voice but I've learned that if you just let it out without worrying, it gets better as you relax and get into the song. Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Chris Christoferson, Willie Nelson, (and some of the singers on this site :-) ) have done very well with what they have. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bill

daryl

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:54 pm

Marc! That was your best playing to date! I loved it. Your playing was extremely confident and smooth. I loved the "rake" and then the "up sweep" and then the percussive "smack". It was played with total control and ease. You looked very comfortable playing the entire thing. As far as the solo goes.....if you can't do it exactly the way they say to do it....then make it your own. While you were playing the solo I kinda heard a "jazzy sort of lick". Maybe play the 1st part of the lick like they say you should and then skip the next note or two and then pick it back up on an off-beat. Just relax during the solo and play whatever you "feel". Don't stress over getting the solo note perfect. Just make the solo as smooth as the rest of your playing. Great post!

sandysue

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi Marc

That was excellent. You played that so quickly and smoothly. I liked the way you played along with the recorded song. Ive been trying to figure out how to add in the vocal part. I'm still playing the instrumental part of the song a little too slowly to keep up with you, but if I could slow the recorded song down to about 75% of that, then i think it would really be helpful. great job. :)

Sandy

willem

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:23 am

Marc, I think that solo needs just more time, devolop the pull (pluck) off/hammeron, the finger muscles needs training and get strong on that,

Can you slow down your backing track? Its hard practice on that speed (for the solo)

What I do now for slowing down a backing track is, I put the track in a video editor (AVS) and make it a video so I can put it in video surgeon.

Willem

PS, such a great song and I am glad you ask for it..

Lavallee

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:49 am

Hi Bill, Thanks for the comment, I tried to sing in previous post butI feel it sounds like a crow being stuck in a vise. But as you said maybe I should not care so much about the end result instead of just having fun

Thanks Daryl, I am really glad you liked it. the rake and sweep up took a while to come. As for the solo, I will most likely have to do that , adapt the weaker spots to bring more fluidity. This is what I did during the back voice section after the chorus. In Neil`s lesson the I just could not get the same strings to be hit, so I kept the base line and hit the other strings somewhat randomly.

Hey Sandy, I am happy that you lik it. If you use Guitar pro, you can slow it down quite a bit. This is what I did. I thought that the fotw you did where very helpfull. Thanks

Hi Willem, thank you again for your comments. I worked on the song for a month and I did slow down a lot using Guitar pro. I tried at 50% slowly ramping up , then 60-70 and so on. I must have played this section many hundreds of time, as I was selecting a looping section in the software and play it over and over for half hour at the time. The way it is now when I play against Guitar Pro I feel that it is coming out pretty well. But I hear the melody at the same time. When I play against the backtrack, there is no melody to follow, so I guess I become too tensed, because I am scared of the section. You will now have to do Angie since you asked for it :cheer:

Thanks again

Marc

dekotaj

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:58 am

daryl wrote:
[quote]Marc! That was your best playing to date! I loved it. Your playing was extremely confident and smooth. I loved the "rake" and then the "up sweep" and then the percussive "smack". It was played with total control and ease. You looked very comfortable playing the entire thing.

I will echo what Daryl said. That was your best playing to date! I loved it. I don't see how you could play it any better than what you did.

(Now don't go get all mad :angry: :angry: at my typing.) But I'm not sure what you mean about the SOLO!! I did not remember a guitar solo in Marvin's song, a lot of horn work going on. So if your talking about the part that starts about 2:03. I'm not to sure you are giving your self a lot of credit. You are playing a acoustic guitar with a backing track that would not suit a solo with that instrument. If this is the part you are talking about?? I fell with the guitar your playing on I don't no how you could do a better job with that backing track. What dose it sound like with out the track. That should tell you if it going good are not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe a elec. guitar would give you more of what your looking for?? Now this is just me trying to figure out what your looking for. Sounds like in the solo you are trying for, is what I would call ( horn pops ) to work with the Rhythm of the horns. And should work out just fine. You are doing kinda the same thing with your rhythm parts you play. Got that horn pop fell to work with the song.
So if this is what your looking for? grab a elec.throw a little delay on it and then give it a shoot???

Sounded great Marc.BRAVO!!!!
Kev

Craig

Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Hey Marc!

That was GREAT! I really enjoyed that. There are some tricky techniques in there that you make look really easy and smooth. Very well done. The time and work you are putting in on that song are really paying off! Congratulations to you.

Craig

willem

Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:43 pm

dekotaj wrote:
daryl wrote:
Marc! That was your best playing to date! I loved it. Your playing was extremely confident and smooth. I loved the "rake" and then the "up sweep" and then the percussive "smack". It was played with total control and ease. You looked very comfortable playing the entire thing.

I will echo what Daryl said. That was your best playing to date! I loved it. I don't see how you could play it any better than what you did.

(Now don't go get all mad :angry: :angry: at my typing.) But I'm not sure what you mean about the SOLO!! I did not remember a guitar solo in Marvin's song, a lot of horn work going on. So if your talking about the part that starts about 2:03. I'm not to sure you are giving your self a lot of credit. You are playing a acoustic guitar with a backing track that would not suit a solo with that instrument. If this is the part you are talking about?? I fell with the guitar your playing on I don't no how you could do a better job with that backing track. What dose it sound like with out the track. That should tell you if it going good are not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe a elec. guitar would give you more of what your looking for?? Now this is just me trying to figure out what your looking for. Sounds like in the solo you are trying for, is what I would call ( horn pops ) to work with the Rhythm of the horns. And should work out just fine. You are doing kinda the same thing with your rhythm parts you play. Got that horn pop fell to work with the song.
So if this is what your looking for? grab a elec.throw a little delay on it and then give it a shoot???

Sounded great Marc.BRAVO!!!!
Kev
Its not really a guitar solo, I believe it are the horns and Neil made it a guitar solo.

Willem

Lavallee

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:55 am

Hi Kev, thanks you for the good comments, I see your point. As Willem said below, in Neil' s lesson, during the interlude (between the 2nd and third verse)where it is normally an instrumental, Neil came up with an interesting and challenging (for me anyway)guitar solo alternative. It was not a solo in an electric guitar sense but an acoustic solo where a series pull off/hammer-ons is following the bass line. There is also the fact that all the chords are quick changing hence the clean pull off is difficult. No worries, in no way I have seen you comment to use another guitar as negative.

Thank you Craig, it is definitely a fun song and I am glad Neil took a shot at it because he has proposed a different version that seems quite realistic with an acoustic guitar

Thanks Willem, for jumping in the clarification.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic