TG original song collaboration - My Father's Hat - David and Michele - The Time Zone Zombies

michelew

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi everyone,

David and I have continued to have too much fun, very little sleep but lots of fun. :) :) But then zombies don't need sleep right? More on that later. :)

Some of you may remember our hat banter on the song-writing threads. This song started from there. David sent me his song sketch a few days later. Well...one idea lead to another and before we knew it we had this collaboration.

That's not the end of our creative musings. To keep Corina smiling, we tossed around some names for our collaboration duo. The distance between us and the fact that we've been talking at the different ends of the day, often very late for one of us, led us to The Time Zone Zombies. :) We toyed with a range of others (Oceans Between, Dave and the Bandicoot :) ) but TZZ stuck. It might be the lack of sleep. :) We fully intend to keep on this crazy band wagon. :) And of course... you can have any number of zombies, so there's room for our team to grow.

So here's our latest TG collaboration, 'My Father's Hat'. For anyone who'd like to play along with us, the progression is C/G/Dm/F all the way through. :) Yep all the way through. :)

We hope you enjoy it.

NB: Since this has been uploaded to YouTube, it sounds different depending on the headphones I use. With some there's too much bass unfortunately. I've already adjusted it and reposted. So I'm hoping it's fine for most of you. If it's not I'll repost it with adjusted sound levels.

My Father’s Hat

He wore it in the city, he wore it in the town

The brim was charcoal, slate grey for the crown

He wore it to work, he even wore it on the beach

He let me wear it sometimes, each to each

--------------------

You could see him on the train, you could see him on the bus

We begged him not to wear it when he was sitting with us

He wore it standing up, and he wore it sitting down

And he’d learned how to tip it when the ladies came around

---------------------

He wore it in sunshine, he wore it in rain

When it blew off in the wind, he put it on again

Covered in leaves in autumn, winter in snow

He wore it most all of his whole damn life, so far as I know

--------------------

Two years last summer, we went for a walk

He’d been to see the doctor, and we needed to talk

Like I was a child, he took me by the hand

And he spoke about momma, he said now I was the man

----------------

‘guess we all got something we’ll always keep

To make us smile, to make us weep

One of these days I’ll take it down from the shelf

Shake the dust off, put it on myself

------------------

It’s late in the evening, and I’m drinking my wine

Got one dream left, I’m gonna do it sometime

To walk on a beach, on a sunshine day

In a charcoal-brim hat, with a crown of grey

TGNesh

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:20 pm

David and Shel, that was just super awesome!!!! :cheer:

Wow, what a crazy amount of work in there :ohmy:! I can SO imagine feeling like as zombie with not enough sleep. :blink: :P And I love the duo-name too, haha! :laugh:

I thought everything was just great and fit exactly right in the song, the noodling on guitars/ukelele, the background vocals. I thought the bass came out just fine. I like to hear the bass clearly for that matter. I listened with headphones btw.

What can I say, all in all, great song, arrangement and video, you both did a fabulous job here, so congratulations TZZ!! :cheer:

Ness

Lavallee

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:07 pm

Difficult to compliment without the fear to make an understatement. This is so professional.. Obviously lots of work (different clothing for each self). Really fun to hear. great lyrics (really like the ending). Great guitar and playing from David and everything else by Michele the multi instrumentalist.

Certainly among the best collaboration I have seen

Marc

daryl

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:58 pm

Extremely impressive all around. Ya done good! That was a ton of work to put together. Well done. But no cow bells?

tombo1230

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Terrific job both of you! Like everyone has said a ton of work and time involved. Just great!

I would like to have seen the hat as the last shot, sitting on a chair :) I had a mental picture of that hat. :P ;) :)

But seriously that was great guys. :)

Tom N.

BobR

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:13 pm

David / Michele,

That was just awesome :woohoo: Great playing and singing and playing and singing......and different instruments and Wow , that was terrific .

I think I really enjoyed that :woohoo:

Bob

jimcjimc

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Michele & David,

That was great! Fun to watch. A lot of talent on display!

Jim

willem

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:00 am

Really enjoyed that, now I wanna know how it sounds in my cab and put it on repeat.

You can release it on paper too and sell it to the world..

Shel and David thx

TZZ as a fan

B) Willem

davidrfinn99165

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:56 am

Thx so much Wiillem, Tom, Marc, Bob, Daryl, Jim, and of course Ness.

Once again it has been so much fun working with the multi-talented Michele. For our previous collab Shel added instrumentation and harmony over the video i'd posted for the latest Songwriting challenge. This one was done from the drum track up and it has been a total blast seeing her put the whole thing together.

Daryl - we're looking for a Zombie who can play cow bells ...actually i suspect Shel will speak to Kyle and ask him to add them next time. :)

familyman4

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Hello Time Zone Zombies,

What an interesting song and collaboration!

I have listened to the song several times now. I will say that I enjoyed listening and watching the video a lot, but it wasn't until I read the words along with hearing the song that I really understood the heart that went into the writing of the lyrics. Being able to read along while the TZZ band jammed for me was the icing on the cake for me.

Thank you both for the hard work and effort that went into creating this piece!

Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic