Busking Neil Diamond Play Me

wrsomers

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Trying to find a new song to busk. Hopefully something will inspire me.

michelew

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:14 pm

wrsomers wrote:
This is an experiment into sound and video layering. I recorded the backing track first then laid down instrumental and vocal tracks in that order. Then lip synced the video over top. This is a tribute to how difficult it is to get lip syncing right. Recording stars have a lot of talent to be able to pull it off.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Bill,

WOW! I already knew that you played beautifully. And your playing on this is really crisp and precise but relaxed at the same time. But your voice is really magic on this, just perfect for this song. You have a fabulous deep resonance and nicely projected emotion.

I don't know how much of this you performed yourself, I'm assuming you didn't do the violins, but perhaps you recorded that too somehow. But, you've done a really stellar job of pulling it all together. I really envy the sound quality you're getting too. What are you using to capture the audio and the video for that matter?

I also have to say that it was a really nice change to see your face on this one.

Beautiful job all around Bill.

Michele

wrsomers

Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:05 am

Bill,

WOW! I already knew that you played beautifully. And your playing on this is really crisp and precise but relaxed at the same time. But your voice is really magic on this, just perfect for this song. You have a fabulous deep resonance and nicely projected emotion.

I don't know how much of this you performed yourself, I'm assuming you didn't do the violins, but perhaps you recorded that too somehow. But, you've done a really stellar job of pulling it all together. I really envy the sound quality you're getting too. What are you using to capture the audio and the video for that matter?

I also have to say that it was a really nice change to see your face on this one.

Beautiful job all around Bill.

Michele[/quote]

Thank you Michele! I am so happy you liked this video. I especially appreciate your comments about my voice. I've always been a little self conscious about how I sound. Part of that has to do with the fact that we are all surprised when we hear how our voices really sound outside our own head/concert hall. :laugh:

I performed the vocals and the arpeggio guitar part. The violins, bass, percussion, and lead guitar were from a backing track. I use a DAW called Sonar LE Cakewalk. It's much like Garage Band but is made for PCs.

This is how I put it together (I know I'm preaching to the choir here) :) :
1. Downloaded backing track from www.karaoke-version.com
2. Imported backing track into Cakewalk as track 1
3. Recorded my guitar part (no vocals) straight into Cakewalk as track 2 using a Samson CO3U USB condenser microphone while listening to the backing track through headphones
4..Recorded video with my Canon PowerShot SX20 camera and my vocal using the Samson as track 3 while listening to the sound track with headphones (the lip syncing part)
5. Added FX with Cakewalk; some Compression/Gate, some EQ, and a slight amount of reverb
6. Exported 3 track audio from Cakewalk to a file
7. Saved video from camera to a file and imported the completed video and audio files into Windows Movie Maker
8. Muted vocal from the camera and synced the Cakewalk audio with the video
9.Saved blended video as a file

I think the sound quality comes from several sources. My guitar is a vintage Martin D28 which I've had modified to maximize its sound. I think it sounds awesome. The condenser microphone is really nice (and only cost $100). The Cakewalk program does a great job adding FX. I learned what FX to add to acoustic sound tracks from a studio sound engineer I worked with recently.

Lastly it was Chris (neverfoundthetime) who got me to show my face.

I hope this wasn't too long a dissertation. By the way, I enjoyed and appreciated your explanation to auntlynnie about your video recording process. It was quite informative.

Regards,
Bill

michelew

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks for the info Bill. I agree that your guitar does sound amazing.

I'll defeitniely consider the Samsung if I get myself another USB mic. Actually I feel like I'm doing sound production my trial and error to some extent. Which is an traditionally and valid approach of course. But, I'd like to do a sound tech short course someday. I must look around to see what's offered. I'm sure the TZZ sound can be improved upon.

The Karaoke track site - I can't remember if it's one I've explored before, but I'll check that out too at some point. Thanks.

There's a lot of good info in here for people with PCs especially. Actually it's got me to wondering about how many would like to post videos, but don't, because they don't know how and/or don't know what they need help them with the process. I might start a new thread on the issue.

And good on Chris for encouraging you to abandon the headless guitarist mantle.

Michele

wrsomers

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks Michele.
I'm sure your knowledge and skills with video recording would benefit a lot of people. Although I did get some DAW tips from a pro, a lot of what I'm doing is also trial and error. The mic is a Samson not Samsung. The itunes store also has a lot of excellent backing tracks; they are not free. Most of them cost $1.99 US. I just downloaded Wondershare's Filmora video editing software on a trial basis. It allows PIP like what you do. It should be fun. We'll see what happens.

Bill

michelew

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:08 am

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Bill. Before youi know it, you'll go from one PIP to twenty. :)

Have fun.

M

wrsomers

Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic