For Lynn - a rough rundown on what I use to make multiple track and multiple window videos

michelew

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:10 am

Hi everyone,

Lynn asked me for a run down of how David and I make the videos that we've been posting recently. So this is an explanation of the electronic software and hardware that we use and a bit of a run down on the process. If you'd like more details just let me know. If you think reading tech stuff is like watching paint dry then stop now or be warning, it's not very exciting stuff. :)

Software:
- iMovie
- GarageBand (on iMac and iPad)
- DropBox
- iSkysoft Video Converter

Hardware:
- an iMac and a PC
- Windows compatible webcam - Logitech HD webcam C270 ( and associated video capture software)
- iSight camera built into iMac
- USB mics: Apogee MiC, Audio Technica at2020usb
- Apogee Jam - for connecting electric instruments to the iPad and iMac; allows us to record straight into GarageBand without an amp. This is David's current favourite toy. He's been exploring amp emulators and loves that crunchy electric guitar sound. :)

Process:
Ok for those who are still reading here's the approach we use.

Sending files:
David records video onto his computer, via his webcam and USB microphone. Just lately, he's recording electric guitar into GarageBand on his iPad too, via the Apogee Jam. He sends me the GarageBand tracks by email directly as they are not huge. He puts the video files into a shared DropBox folder.

If I'm sending him tracks, I send them via email or DropBox.

Converting file:
We have different computers so I convert David's videos from WVM format to MP4 using a program called iSkySoft video converter. It also allows me to convert the video to audio only, which I load into GarageBand so I can put the tracks together.

Building the tracks:
I use GarageBand (GB) to assemble the tracks. It's pretty powerful, but I'm getting a little dissatisfied with some of the instrument emulators. For example, I wanted to use a sax in the last song; Low Road Blues; but it sounded pathetic. I sang the sax line instead. I will upgrade at some point, but I'll need to learn a new program when I do.

GB has a cool drum track generator in it. It's been fun to use, but of course it's not as good as the real thing.

I generally record straight into GarageBand on my iMac. I use either a USB microphone (Apogee MiC) or I connect an electric instrument to my iMac using the Apogee Jam. I don't have any amps, so it's fantastic for recording my bass and e-guitar especially. The range of amp set-up emulators is pretty cool too. I have no idea how to set up and amp (etc.) in real life. Once I have a drum track or a base track, I play it in GarageBand and record against it straight into GarageBand. (That ensures it's all in sync)

GB also allows you to show beats and bars. It helps when you want to set up a new song structure, which is pretty cool.

Once we have a base track, it's then a matter of positioning the other tracks appropriately against it (like the ones David sends me). Then of course you need to adjust the sound level of each track and pan them left or right depending on when you want to hear the instrument.

When you're happy with the edited track, you can export it to your iTunes library as an MP3 file.

That's probably enough about tracks. For Northern Town we had 15 tracks. :) here's a picture of how GarageBand looked when we'd finished. There were ...5 or 6 vocal tracks in the wall of sound :).

Video:
I record my video straight into iMovie using the camera in my iMac. I should upgrade that at some point too. It would be nice to be able to choose a different setting. David uses his webcam.

I use iMovie to edit and assemble the video too. It only allows one PIP (picture in picture). So when I'm developing videos with many pictures, I need to assemble them in stages. I assemble two and then create a final video for each stage. I use that final as the base video for the next stage and then put the next video into as a PIP again. For Northern Town I had to do that six or seven times. It's convoluted but it works. I will upgrade to Final Cut Pro at some point, but that means learning a new video editing software. The biggest issue is that if you make a mistake or need to change the spacing or placement of a video at an early stage, you need to basically start again.

iMovie also allows you to insert pictures into the movie, create opening titles and closing credits; different styles and colours are available. There's also a range of backgrounds to choose from too. The first thing I generally do is to choose a background, and create a section of background that is as long as the song. Once I've done that, I start placing the videos in it as PIPs as above.

I import the song track into iMovie (from my iTunes library), fairly early in the project. I then position each of the videos against it. They almost always have a sound track so I compare the master track and the video track until they match up. This can be a bit fiddley, but it's not hard.

Once it's all together, I publish it to YouTube. I then send the link to David to check he's happy with it.

In general

I've glossed over lots of details but I assume this is more than enough info for most people. Feel free to post questions here or send me a PM.

None of this stuff is hard. It's just getting familiar with how each program works and then a lot of fiddling to get each bit properly aligned. It does take a fair bit of time though.

The videos I've been building lately have had lots of tracks and lots of different video windows. The more tracks and windows you use, the longer it takes of course. But, you can make videos with just one or two extra windows fairly easily.

Apple Stores run basic training courses on their programs. And you can get free how to videos on YouTube or pay for professional tutorials line the Non-Linear series which is pretty cool and very informative.

If you've read this far you're a die-hard good for you. :) Have fun making videos. I'm happy to give anyone more info.

Shel

willem

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:27 am

Hi Michel,, you are a pro...

You use iMovie but thats for the Mac right?

An well known video editings program voor PC Windows is AVS and it allows you to put in as many of PIPs as you want in one time, also sound tracks etc..

Willem

michelew

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:03 am

Thanks for the info Willem.

Yes, iMovie and GarageBand are both Mac/Apple programs.

I only use PCs at work now. Vista and viruses cured me of PCs at home. :)

M

wiley

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:58 am

auntlynnie

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Thank you so much Michele.
This is a lot of information and a lot to digest, but I really appreciate your taking the time to explain it. Your finished products are just wonderful to watch!
I will likely have some questions as I sift through it all.
My sincere thanks,
Lynn

michelew

Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:26 pm

Lynn - you're very welcome. I hope it points you in the right direction and answers your initial questions. I'm happy to answer any specific questions when you have them.

Wiley - thanks for the info. Mics are a whole world of tech all by themselves, and another thing that's easy to spend money on.

Actual I have LogicPro. I just need to spend more time getting to know it.

Michele

jillsisson52110

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks Michelle!

Will print off and review once more, lots of great information and love the videos!

Jill

jillsisson52110

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:06 am

Sorry on your name Michele.

michelew

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:39 am

Jill,

You're very welcome. Give me a shout out if there's something you'd like me to explain in more detail. And no worries about the name. :)

A big thanks about the videos. David and I definitely have fun making them. :)

BTW - a big WELCOME to the forum. Would you like to tell us all a little more about yourself and your guitar/music adventure to date?

Michele

Edit - if you ever need to edit something you've written, you can just hit the red 'edit' button on the bottom right hand side of any post you've written (you can only see it if you're logged in). Then edit away. :) easy, peasy.

michelew

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:49 am

Hi all,

I'm bumping this thread partially in response to a question from Bill and in case new people are also interested in recording using USB mics and connecting electric instruments straight to your computer (iMac) to a DAW like GarageBand.

The first page has most of the info.

If you've got question you can PM me or leave them here.

Happy recording.

M

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic