Collaboration - A Spool of Thread - The Time Zone Zombies

michelew

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Did I hear someone say "Where are those Zombies? They won't get their album finished if they don't get cracking again!" ? :) Da DA!!! We're back after a little hiatus with song number five; A Spool of Thread.

This one was inspired by two things; Neil's song writing lesson number one (number two being the country song) and a book that David started reading on the day the lesson came out called "A Spool of Blue Thread" by Anne Tyler (which David told me "provided the idea for the first line, although the spool of blue thread plays quite a different role in the novel").

HOW many songs are on an album? :)

Well we hope you enjoy song number five. You'll need head phones to get the full effect.

Shel

A Spool of Thread

Verse - Am/F/Am/F/Am/F/G/F/A

A spool of thread runs
From your heart to mine
It's still unbroken in time

We never cut it
Do you still hold it?
I keep it with mine

The looks you don't see
The words you can't hear
Some things are left out on the road

Someone got hurt so
We don't go back there
Some stories never get retold

Chorus - C/G/Dm/Am/C/G/Dm/Dm/Am/C/G/Dm/Am/C/Dm/F

A piece of paper
A faded picture
A glass of burgundy wine

I keep my back straight
I hold my head up
I walk the line

Verse 3

Somewhere a bell rings
Somewhere a dog barks
Someone is opening a door

God knows i've wondered
God knows I've waited
God knows what for....

Repeat Chorus - A piece of paper etc

Outro

A spool of thread runs...
A spool of thread runs...

sandysue

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi David and Michele

Another great performance. I love your latest song. Your album is coming right along. awesome job. :)

Sandy

TGNesh

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:02 am

Gosh....what an amount of work in this one again! :ohmy: Shel you're turning into a multi-instrumentalist :cheer:

I very much liked all the guitar noodles and the Eagles-like lead playing throughout the song. Throwing a little piano in the mix was a great addition too, to indeed change things up a bit.

I have to say.....what is a Spool of Thead? :dry:

An album has usually 10+ tracks, so I'd say you're about to flip the record as Colin Meloy (Decemberists) would say. ;)

So yeah, TTZZ is wéll on it's way to produce a whole album, just fantastic! If you could both make it to IGC Europe, you'll of course háve to perform some of those songs for us. I'd be happy to add whatever instrument to it. :)

Awesome job guys!

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:20 am

Wow, very catchy guys, that song flows really nicely well done! There is a lot of work in there. The rhythm guitar playing was excellent. And how did you work out the lead Shel?

davidrfinn99165

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:15 am

Thx so much Sandy, Ness and Chris...

Ness - well a spool of thread is ..ermm like a reel of cotton for sewing... i tend to think of spool as how it lies when it is unravellied as well, ie not in a straight line. we also use 'spool'' for a reel of film, and thread can be a narrative line as well so that was sort of the idea....
My gran would have called it a 'bobbin'.. wow wish i had gotten that word in there as well..

I especially liked Shel's electric guitar line on this one..... oh and also the way her doggie gets up from the sofa on the line 'somewhere a bell rings, somewhere a dog barks'.. must have been to stage school :)

/ david

Lavallee

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:59 am

This is very entertaining Michele and David. I think the split windows are getting busier (but clean viewing) with all the parts that are in, what an amazing amount of work you guys are putting up together. Everything works: nice electric and acoustic solo, good rhythm on the guitar, the lyrics are phenomenal, in line with professional writers, I also like the piano add-on and of course the singing with the harmonies.

Groupie Marc

wrsomers

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:50 am

Very nice! David, your lyrics are once again great. You certainly have a knack. The chord progression is very Dylanesque. I also enjoyed the instrumental break.

Shel, although I am somewhat hurt about your never posting any comments on my many busking songs (except for one), I must say that your instrumentals on this are outstanding.

David and Michele, your collaborations are very entertaining!

Bill

willem

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Let the spool of songs run..

B)

BobR

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi David and Michele,

Great to see the Time Zone Zombies at it again. That was really COOL!! I loved all the parts. You have the most PIP's I have seen :) :)

Great job all around

Bob

jayswett

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:45 pm

These get better and better. Really, really nice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic