Busking Neil Young Re-make of Cowgirl in Sand using my new guitar

wrsomers

Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:26 am

David- Thanks. I learned this song many years ago by listening to 4 Way Street over and over. Such a great album.

Tom-You are right, Taylor's instruments are very nice. What impresses me about them is their constant efforts to optimize the sound of their guitars. When I play this 914, I can feel the whole guitar vibrating; top, back, sides, neck. Love it.

Bart-20 times...You are a big fan. I'm going to check out their website to see if they have a virtual tour. As far as the recording...the guitar was unplugged. I only used the one mic, a Samson CU03, which is a condensing cardiod mic plugged into my computer. Thanks for your feedback.

Bill

crieniecat

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:48 am

Hi Bill,

A VERY impressive sound from that beautiful guitar.
Also very much liked your singing, the sound system and quality is really amazing. It proves itself seen that most of us thought that guitar was already plugged in.
Your video's are always a pleasure to watch and getting better over time, chapeau!

Chris you were right in the first place about the guitar not being plugged in!
Your love for guitars obviously shines through in such a way, I guess you should be careful with what you present to us next, unless you like to sell it! :lol: :P

Thanks for sharing
Corina :cheer:

wrsomers

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:06 am

Corina,
Thank you so much. It's so nice to see comments like that, especially from someone who sings so well herself. Thanks for listening.

Bill

sandysue

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:23 am

You really have a nice voice Bill and I love the sound of your new guitar, :)

Sandy

familyman4

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:42 am

I'm going to check out their website to see if they have a virtual tour.

Bill,

The website also has a section to register that new, fine instrument with Taylor as well. You will automatically start getting a copy of the "Wood and Steel" magazine after you go through the registration process.

Bart

willem

Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:56 pm

What a great new sound and again a great performing.

Getting the registers NY's singing is for the most of us not possible, so I always look for good covers.

Looking forward to your "old man" when you're ready..

W.

TGNesh

Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:07 am

Wow....what an awesome sound, guitar, vocals, system, fantastic package!

5000 :ohmy: :S ....but congratulations! :cheer:

I'm also a strong believer of making any song (it's key obviously) fit ones vocal range and I thought you worked out how to sing it very well. Which is an octave down and capoed a half step up, works for sure. A vocalist doesn't have to shoot for the same vocal range as the artist. Even for Neil Young himself, his songs are way too high for him now. So he simply adjusts.

In any way, I love 4 Way Street, many thanks for sharing your rendition of this one again!

Ness

wrsomers

Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:32 am

Sandy - Thank you! How are you doing with "Fire and Rain"? I saw your last lesson and am wondering when you're going to busk it. I used to play that song and you've inspired me to do it again. It won't busk it though; I wouldn't want to steal your thunder ;)

Bart - I did register and am looking forward to the magazine.

Willem - Thanks, I enjoyed doing it again. I don't think there is much chance of me doing "Old Man" I can't find a comfortable vocal range. I will never be able to hit A4. I can do it falsetto, but my falsetto sounds awful. Sort of like a wounded frog :P

Ness - Thank you very much! I am finally happy with the sound I'm getting with my recordings. Also the Taylor sounds good amplified; something I have not been able to achieve with all the other acoustic-electrics I've tried. Yeah, the money is a lot, but I can't take it with me, I'll enjoy it now. Besides, my grandchildren will appreciate it. It's like Neil Young says: "This old guitar ain't mine to keep, just taking care of it for now". I'm so glad you approve of singing in one's own range. I've met people that say "It's not the same (translation - good)unless it's sung in the original range. Somewhere I read that everyone has a sweet spot in their range and should stay near it 75% of the time. When you do that, you can really get into the melody, emotion and feeling of the song. In a way I feel sorry for singers like Neil Young who can't hit those notes they used to. I think there are only a handful of old-timers that can still do it...like Frankie Valli. Thanks for your response, it means a great deal to me.

Bill

Lavallee

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Bill,great sound from that new guitar of yours , intro was perfect and well sang.

Marc

wrsomers

Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks Marc,
I appreciate that.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic