Busking Simon and Garfunkel - Song For Asking

wrsomers

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:40 pm

daryl wrote:
Bill, Thanks for the Retro Monel video. Intriguing. In your opinion how do the highs and lows compare to the other strings you've used? How often do you normally change your strings? I'm curious as to how long the Monels will last on your guitar.
Daryl,
The overall sound is not as metallic sounding as PB or 80/20. I suppose many people like that timbre, I do as well; but the retro strings are warmer/mellower. The retro highs ring beautifully, the lows, while still loud enough are more woody, as opposed to metallic. It's hard to describe. They are really easier on the fingers, however you have to be careful to be gentle because they can go sharp if you press too hard.

I change my strings on average every 2-3 months (that's for Martin's Lifespan strings). My rule of thumb for string changing is not really time though. I go by two main factors: when I'm spending too much time tuning (I'm a perfectionist about tuning) and when the strings start to feel stiff from work hardening. Sound goes along with those two factors but out of tune and stiffness usually precede loss of sound. The jury is still out on the Monels because I've only had them on the guitar since 12/11/15. They sound better the more I play them. Since they are metal, I'm sure they will work harden too. It's just a matter of time. I'll let you know. At $7.00 a set (Amazon) they are worth a try.

Bill

wrsomers

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Rbinding wrote:
Very nice, Bill. I haven't heard that song in many years, and really enjoyed your performance. Your voice and guitar have such a warm sound. Well done.

Ron
Thanks much Ron.

Bill

daryl

Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:03 pm

Thank for the info Bill. I've just ordered a set ($7.12 w/free shipping from Musician's Friend via eBay).

familyman4

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:10 pm

Incredible! Thank you for sharing with us. Loved the slides and finger picking. Your voice was very smooth as well.

Bart

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:15 pm

Well I do know that song and its another great job Bill, you sing these songs so well!

tombo1230

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:56 am

That was really lovely, well done Bill. Your sound recording and balance was very nice. The guitar sounded warm and your vocal was rich.

What make of thumb pick are you using?

Tom N.

crieniecat

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:04 am

Again, can"t resist coming back to listen to this song...
Yes you made me smile, it's a reference to the lyrics you sing ;)

Fact is, if you would give a concert, I would be there in the audience....

Corina.

wrsomers wrote:
Corina - You're welcome! I'm happy "I made you smile"

Best wishes to you all for a happy and healthy new year!

Bill

wrsomers

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:30 am

Bart and Chris - Thank you. I always appreciate your feedback

Tom - Thank you! The thumb pick I used for this song is a Planet Waves medium. I switch picks depending on the song. For a soft fat sound I use the Planet Waves. For a harder tone I use Ernie Ball medium.

Corina - Thanks again. I'll let you know when I get to Carnegie Hall :laugh: .

Bill

Craig

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:53 pm

Bill,

You've put up a lot of great songs but I think this might be my favorite. The little hammer on and slide sound really good and your voice fits this song very well. I really enjoyed that. Nice work!

Craig

wrsomers

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Craig wrote:
Bill,

You've put up a lot of great songs but I think this might be my favorite. The little hammer on and slide sound really good and your voice fits this song very well. I really enjoyed that. Nice work!

Craig
Thanks Craig. I really appreciate that.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic