R.I.P. Pete Huttlinger

familyman4

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Not sure how many of our TG family had known or heard of a gentleman by the name of Pete Huttlinger? I just found out that he has passed away on 1/15/16. Pete has been a musical inspiration for me and thousands of others during the past several years. He lived I Nashville Tenn.

Pete was in the John Denver band as guitar player, mandolin, banjo etc. He has won national finger picking championships for his guitar skills. He was a wonderful instructor that taught songs of his own writing plus, John Denver, Jim Croce, Dan Fogelberg and many tips and techniques through a Northeastern CD instructional company for many years. He also traveled the country performing concerts and when he could fit it in, teaching music workshops at local music stores for inspiring musicians. Mostly though, he was a wonderful person with a great sense of humor and a personality that lit up a room as soon as he entered. It is an honor to able to call him a friend.

Pete has had a heart defect from birth and the last couple of years, he actually carried a heart pump on his side while waiting for a possible heart transplant. This never stopped him from playing or sharing music with others. In fact, while he was recovering in a Houston hospital a few years ago from some heart related issues, he would take his guitar to neighboring rooms and cheer up other patients with his talent.

Pete, you will be missed by many!!!

*** Not sure about the rest of you all but I am ready to have a restart of 2016 and see if we can have a better start to the year?

Bart

Rbinding

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:55 pm

I am so sad to hear of his passing. One of my favorite finger style guitarists. His arrangement of Steely Dan's "Josie" is not to be missed! I thought he was doing better and off the portable heart pump, but it appears he had another stroke. He had a stroke several years ago and basically had to relearn guitar. An amazing talent and a wonderful human being.

I agree Bart, it's been a rough year so far. Lets hope it gets better!

Ron

sandysue

Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi Bart

Pete was an awesome musician. When pete died he was only 54 yrs old, which was one year older than John Denver when he died. What are the chances of that.They were both way too young. I'm also feeling really sad about the death of Glenn Frey. He was an awesome musician who founded one of the best bands ever, The Eagles. You're right 2016 has had a rough start.

Sandy

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:18 pm

That's quite a loss Bart. I did not know of him but appreciate what you had to say about him, great words.
So many musicians checking out right now....

BobR

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi Bart,

Unfortunately I had not heard of him. He sounds like he was a great musician and great human being. Sorry to hear of the loss.

Bob

tombo1230

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:04 pm

familyman4 wrote:
Not sure how many of our TG family had known or heard of a gentleman by the name of Pete Huttlinger? I just found out that he has passed away on 1/15/16. Pete has been a musical inspiration for me and thousands of others during the past several years. He lived I Nashville Tenn.

Pete was in the John Denver band as guitar player, mandolin, banjo etc. He has won national finger picking championships for his guitar skills. He was a wonderful instructor that taught songs of his own writing plus, John Denver, Jim Croce, Dan Fogelberg and many tips and techniques through a Northeastern CD instructional company for many years. He also traveled the country performing concerts and when he could fit it in, teaching music workshops at local music stores for inspiring musicians. Mostly though, he was a wonderful person with a great sense of humor and a personality that lit up a room as soon as he entered. It is an honor to able to call him a friend.

Pete has had a heart defect from birth and the last couple of years, he actually carried a heart pump on his side while waiting for a possible heart transplant. This never stopped him from playing or sharing music with others. In fact, while he was recovering in a Houston hospital a few years ago from some heart related issues, he would take his guitar to neighboring rooms and cheer up other patients with his talent.

*** Not sure about the rest of you all but I am ready to have a restart of 2016 and see if we can have a better start to the year?

Bart
I agree with everything Bart has said. I discovered Pete about six months ago. He was a very engaging, funny and interesting guy, a great and talented master guitar player, teacher and a very nice man
that I feel I got to know, partly through his emails. I am really gutted, he was too young to be taken.

As Bart has said Pete had medical issues which I believe started with a stroke and then the heart complications.
Pete fought back and had to re-learn his guitar skills after the stroke. I believe he was waiting for a heart transplant.

Life can be cruel some times, he had so much to live for.

R.I.P. Pete, you will be missed.

Tom N.

crieniecat

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:01 pm

I did not know Mr. Huttlinger myself, your kind words are a warm tribute to an obviously very nice and inspiring person.

May he and all others whom we have recently lost, rest in peace.

Corina.

BigBear

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Pete was one of the finest guitarists ever. He was a two time (or more) National Fingerstyle Guitar Champion and just struck me as a wonderful human being. I own many of his instructional materials.

I was inspired by his re-learning the guitar after a major strike left him without the instrument that defined him. But it was no secret he was living on borrowed time.

Rest in Peace Pete and thank you for so much great music. You will be sorely missed.

dekotaj

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 am

dekotaj

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:30 am

familyman4 wrote:

Yes he will be missed by many.And I am truly one of them.
My deepest sorrows to miss Erin.His lovely wife.
I had the pleasure of going down to Pete's house in Nashville Tenn. in 2013 with a group of guys.Pete and Erin were wonderful host.
Thank you Pete for helping me learn the music I love and will enjoy playing the rest of my life.May the dear Lord take you into his home like you did for others and shear his love with you.As you shared your love of music with all of us.

This place on earth has truly lost a kind and wonderful man.
Kevin

P.S. I tried to put up a picture of all of us from my time at Pete's home.Just can't seem to work it out (sorry )

Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic