Great Tuning Technique

wrsomers

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:46 pm

I'm sure we've all struggled getting our guitars in perfect tune. Well here's something I just ran across that helps a great deal. Guitars (as well as pianos and other fixed tuning instruments) are set up so one perfectly tuned chord or key doesn't mean that any of the other chords or keys will be in perfect tune. All chords/keys (actually the 3rds) have to be a little off so that they all sound reasonably in tune. Electronic tuners don't do the trick if you tune every string to perfect pitch.

Using A=440 tune your guitar using these "sweetened" tunings and I think you will be quite happy with the results...I was. :)

Use a tuner that has frequency readings and tune the strings thus:

Low E - 82.3
A 109.7
D 146.6
G 195.6
B 246.4
High E 329.0

Enjoy!

Bill

TGNesh

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:53 am

Cool, will try that, thanks!! :)

Ness

wrsomers

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:18 am

Hi Ness,
Please let me know how it works for you.

Bill

wrsomers

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:22 am

wrsomers wrote:
I'm sure we've all struggled getting our guitars in perfect tune. Well here's something I just ran across that helps a great deal. Guitars (as well as pianos and other fixed tuning instruments) are set up so one perfectly tuned chord or key doesn't mean that any of the other chords or keys will be in perfect tune. All chords/keys (actually the 3rds) have to be a little off so that they all sound reasonably in tune. Electronic tuners don't do the trick if you tune every string to perfect pitch.

Using A=440 tune your guitar using these "sweetened" tunings and I think you will be quite happy with the results...I was. :)

Use a tuner that has frequency readings and tune the strings thus:

Low E - 82.3
A 109.7
D 146.6
G 195.6
B 246.4
High E 329.0

Enjoy!

Bill
If you don't have a tuner with frequency readings but it has cent markers you can get the same result by tuning the E,D,G, and e strings to minus 3 cents and the A and B strings to minus 4 cents.

Bill

daryl

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:11 am

So Bill, where did you find this info? Was there some sort of explanation as to why this particular tuning works better than the usual/standard frequencies?

wrsomers

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:21 am

daryl wrote:
So Bill, where did you find this info? Was there some sort of explanation as to why this particular tuning works better than the usual/standard frequencies?
Daryl,
Here is the url for the information. It's an excellent article about the technical side of tuning:

http://www.theguitarjournal.com/secret- ... perfectly/

By the way, how do you like the Retro strings?

Bill

daryl

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks for the url. I haven't gone there yet.

I have the Retro strings but I haven't put them on yet. I'll let you know.....

wiley

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:25 am

wiley

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:45 am

wrsomers

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:03 pm

Wiley,
That is all very interesting. Thank you for your extensive knowledge. You are right regarding the intonation of the guitar. It has to be correct if one has any prayer of playing in tune up and down the neck. Outside forces coupled with the imperfection of equal temperament make the job of striking a tuning balance very challenging. Humidity, temperature, capo/finger pressure, saddle compensation, and more, all play a part.

That being said, I offered the above information only as a help in finding a way to tune ones' guitar without having to worry too much about all that other stuff. I've been there and have gotten tired of spending so much time tuning instead of playing. That's why I sold my acoustic piano and bought an electronic piano. Thanks for your input I appreciate it. :)

Bill

P.S. I have a Peterson clip on strobe tuner and find it's OK but it is so damn hard to use.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic