Pentatonic patterns

sbutler

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Ok, so my New Years task for myself, was to memorize the 5 Pentatonic patterns. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but have always put this job on the shelf, wanting to learn other stuff first. Now I have had several finger nail accidents, which is a perfect time to pick up a pick, and work on the skill it takes to be accurate with it. So pentatonic patterns have been memorized. Now what?

It's good that Ive become better with a pick, but I'm not sure that memorizing these patterns, is going to make making a better lead player. It seems as though that I may lack the creativity to play cool leads. That is, unless ther is a next step.

Any ideas anyone???

Scott

familyman4

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:53 pm

Congrats Scott,

I suggest that you start jamming with backing tracks. Be creative and have fun with your new knowledge.

sbutler

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:24 pm

familyman4 wrote:
Congrats Scott,

I suggest that you start jamming with backing tracks. Be creative and have fun with your new knowledge.
thats a good idea. Thanks, I'll do that.

daryl

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Definitely DON'T just play the patterns. The patterns are there to let you know WHAT notes are (typically) safe to play.

Now you need to learn licks and phrases (that are hidden) within the patterns. Start with a 2 or 3 note phrase and play it against a backing track. Find out where they sound good and where they don't sound good. Take a 3 note phrase and start it a various points in a measure (for example start it on the "and" of 1, and then try it on the 3, or the "and" of 3, etc.) and see what works and what doesn't. There are tons of 3 note phrases to try. Not only are there tons of 3 notes, but there are tons of ways to play those three notes (quarter notes, eighths notes, triplets, swing, etc.). And then there are slides and hammer-ons, and pull-offs, and bends, and pre-bends, and vibrato, etc.

Lead playing is a full-time endeavor. Good luck!

willem

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:30 am

Start with blues riffs and do the question and answer thing.. B)

sbutler

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:01 am

Ok, 3 note phrases and blues riffs. Is there a lesson or lessons here on the site to find those?

Dermot can find anything

unclewalt

Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:34 pm

willem

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:03 pm

sbutler wrote:
Ok, 3 note phrases and blues riffs. Is there a lesson or lessons here on the site to find those?

Dermot can find anything
Max Rich from totally electric guitars has something,, here on the acoustic site I can't remember something a bout riffs etc.

Willem

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:37 pm

unclewalt wrote:
What I did, many years ago, was to take the simple riffs I knew on the bass strings and play them on the higher strings. Over and over, along with simple songs (Yardbirds, Creedence, etc.). It was like practicing scales, but it was actual music. It took some work to figure them out because of the B string being tuned at a third, but it opened a lot of doors for me. I have evolved a lot since then, but doing that was a huge leap forward in my playing. I never did really learn any scales, as such (I'm not saying you shouldn't, though).

For instance, one of the first songs I did this with was this one, about as simple as it gets.The riff starts on the 3rd fret, 6th string (G). I started playing it starting on the 5th fret, 4th string, an octave higher, and figured out where to go on the 2nd string to compensate for the tuning of the B string. This was like 35 years ago, and I still vividly remember what a revelation it was to me at the time. It was like, "Oh, now I get it!" I probably spent a good year doing almost nothing but this, getting better and better as I went, and starting to actually improvise.
Walt:

Thanks for that example. I have completely ignored scales/leads/soloing. More out of ignorance and fear than anything else. I understand scales, how they are constructed, and how the chords are created from them. I just have never had the epiphany experience of "getting" the fret board.

I have really been intrigued a bit more, ever since Jay posted his work with the looper pedal. The little exercise you describe sounds like
a very simple and fun place to start. Much less intimidating.

Thanks again.

Jason

unclewalt

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:01 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic