If I Needed You - Emmylou Harris/Don Williams - Collaboration of Bill & Vanessa

TGNesh

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:23 pm

Hi everyone! :)

In short, this is one of the most beautiful three chord songs I've ever heard. So I wanted to cover it for quite a few years. But since there was a male part in there, I just wasn't sure what to do with it, or how to approach it, so it went of my radar again.

In any way, this song was written by Townes van Zandt and covered by several artists. Personally I had heard it from the Broken Circle Breakdown Bluegrass Band (it appears on the soundtrack of the Belgian movie 'The Broken Circle Breakdown). But last week I bumped in to Emmylou Harris' version, performed as a duet with Don Williams. It was especially after hearing their version that I thought of Bill, thinking it would suit him just perfectly. I'm sure many of you know what a gorgeous voice and great playing skills he has. Our cover is also very much based on their recording. I took it a whole step down though to match the range of my voice a bit better. For Bill it was all good. ;)

I certainly have to give him the credit and thank him in a major way for putting it all together (video, audio, other instruments, the latter was a very pleasant surprise! :cheer: ), I certainly couldn't have done it myself. :S :)

As you can imagine, we surely hope you'll enjoy it!

Ness

daryl

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:35 pm

Nice nice nice! What a beautiful collaboration. And great work on the video editing there Bill! All it needs is Sandy playing bass for you guys! I hope there are more collaborations from you guys in the pipeline.

tombo1230

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:09 pm

Really nice job all around. As you said Ness a very beautiful song. :)
That was also a nice touch with the harmonica Bill.
I really enjoyed that!! :)

Tom N.

sbutler

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Well, you two have a hit! That was incredible. Wow!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Wow! That was a wonderful collab guys! Absolutely beautiful with such a great energy from both of you. Ness, you are absolutely beaming.
One of my faves!

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Beautiful job, you two.

That was well played and mixed. The version you did is my favorite of all the covers that were done of that song. I have always been a big Don Williams fan, so I had heard that some time back. You guys really sound amazing together!

Jason

BobR

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:08 pm

Ness / Bill,

That sounded fabulous. What a great collaboration :)

Thanks for sharing

Bob

sandysue

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Wow Bill and Vanessa

What a beautiful song and really awesome collaboration. You two sound great together.

Thanks Daryl for the vote of confidence on the bass part. I could have definitely totally messed that whole thing up in a hurry with any attempt on my part to play the bass along with them, but I can dream can't I ? :)

Sandy

familyman4

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Beautiful job you two! You sounded very nice together....I loved every second of it!

Ness, I love how you are looking over at Bill, even though you are many miles apart :) Great steady thumb work, playing and singing.

Bill, Sounded great too. Harmonica was a nice touch and you singing was smooth as always.

Is there a metronome clicking in the background of the audio or is that something with my computer?

Thanks....
Bart

wrsomers

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments. It was a real joy working with Ness. Hopefully we can do some more.

Bart, the sound you heard in the background is me playing "thigh drums" with my hands. I suppose it might be best to listen to this with headphones.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic