If I Needed You - Emmylou Harris/Don Williams - Collaboration of Bill & Vanessa

wrsomers

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:43 am

jayswett wrote:
Three chord song? Would like to learn it. It looks like G C and D. You have capo on 3? Will work on figuring out the melody myself. Will be a good exercise for me. It should be easy, but it won't be.

Great, great video. Lovely song.
Jay
Thanks again Jay. You're right, Ness played it in G, C, & D capoed at the 3rd fret. I played it in A, D, & E capoed 2 frets lower than Ness. Also in the last chorus(not shown in the video), I played another guitar track by playing D, G, & A capoed at the 8th fret using a banjo frailing style picking pattern.

Bill

Rbinding

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Very nice you guys! Great performance and production. It did appear that you were looking at each other. I really have grown to like Townes Van Zandt. I just watched his documentary "Be Here to Love Me" last weekend. Highly recommended for anyone interested in Townes.

Ron

michelew

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 pm

wrsomers wrote:
jayswett wrote:
Three chord song? Would like to learn it. It looks like G C and D. You have capo on 3? Will work on figuring out the melody myself. Will be a good exercise for me. It should be easy, but it won't be.

Great, great video. Lovely song.
Jay
Thanks again Jay. You're right, Ness played it in G, C, & D capoed at the 3rd fret. I played it in A, D, & E capoed 2 frets lower than Ness. Also in the last chorus(not shown in the video), I played another guitar track by playing D, G, & A capoed at the 8th fret using a banjo frailing style picking pattern.

Bill
I know nothing about playing the banjo, so I had to look up frailing (damn autocorrect! I had to type that a zillion times). Want to give us a demo of how you do it? Hey you could fill Vanessa's surprise teacher spot occasionally now that she's an official TG teacher. :) :) She used to give us excellent mini lesson videos on the forum from time to time when she was a TG student. (Obviously she was and still is a professional music teacher (guitar included) as her day job).

wrsomers

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Michele,
There are many good examples of frailing on YouTube. When I used it in "If I needed You" capoing it so high gave it a distinct sound that I think worked very well.

Bill

There was a link to a video here but I removed it by request. :unsure:

michelew

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks very much Bill. Actually Neil teaches that technique in the Blackbird lesson. I've been using it there and in a couple of Jason Mraz songs (and a TZZ one too! :) well the flick anyway ). I just didn't realise it as called frailing. It's definitely a nice technique. Combined with palm-muting and the faster more percussive approach is very cool too.

Thanks for providing the info.

Thanks!

M

wrsomers

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:04 pm

@ @
___

rippon

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:07 pm

maybe you could give this a lesson to us target folks or have Neil do it for target good work very nice

wrsomers

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:33 pm

rippon wrote:
maybe you could give this a lesson to us target folks or have Neil do it for target good work very nice
Sorry Rippon, I don't want to get my hand slapped again. :laugh:

Bill

Watch Neil's lesson on Blackbird by the Beatles. He shows this technique using the index finger to brush the 2nd and 3rd strings.

michelew

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:39 pm

wrsomers wrote:
rippon wrote:

Bill

Watch Neil's lesson on Blackbird by the Beatles. He shows this technique using the index finger to brush the 2nd and 3rd strings.

Oops! :huh: Sorry Bill. I really didn't mean it as a slap. I hope you're teasing me. :silly: Actually it was a little cheeky of me to ask for the demo. :blush: :blush: And the post was very helpful. So thanks!

Yep Neil has shown the brush technique in a few lessons I've studied (like More Than Words), as has Ness.

wrsomers

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:01 pm

michelew wrote:
wrsomers wrote:
rippon wrote:

Bill

Oops! :huh: Sorry Bill. I really didn't mean it as a slap. I hope you're teasing me. :silly: Actually it was a little cheeky of me to ask for the demo. :blush: :blush: And the post was very helpful. So thanks!

Yep Neil has shown the brush technique in a few lessons I've studied, as has Ness.
No problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic